As an equal opportunity employer, Deputy Director for Transportation Payments employs numerous hearing impaired individuals. This can pose communication challenges to your business association with us. We ask your staff to please use the Federal Information Relay Service (FIRS), when you are attempting to resolve billing information with one of our hearing impaired employees.
FIRS is available from 8am to 8pm, Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday, except on Federal Holidays. FIRS can be initiated by calling 1-800-877-8339. FIRS agents relay the conversation to our hearing impaired employees, in order to process your inquiries. We ask that your message be as clear and concise as possible, because information is processed by a third party who may misinterpret your understanding of the nature of your inquiry. Because of the communication difficulties, our hearing impaired employees ask your patience in attempting to fully satisfy your requests.
Common Terms used include:
- Please have the phone number ready that you wish to call.
- When the agent answers, give him or her the area code and number.
- Speak in a slow clear manner.
- Direct your conversation to the TDD user as if the agent were absent.
- Please keep in mind that the hearing impaired use a slightly different sentence structure, not always using complete sentences, or not using words in the order that a hearing person might.
- GA - Go ahead...your turn to type or respond;
- SK or SKSK - stop keying or end of conversation, hanging up.
Page updated February 12, 2015