Frequently Asked Questions

  • What do I do if I have not received a tax statement that I expected?
    Verify you had income within the year for which a W2 was expected.

    1. Verify your bank account for monies received.
    2. Contact the office/person to whom you submitted a request for payment.

    If you received a prior year form for the same type of income then use the contact information from that form.

    1. For a W2 that information can be found in Box B and Box C of the prior year W2.
    2. For 1099MISC / 1099NEC / 1099 INT that information can be found
           I. In the upper right corner of the mailed tax statement.
          II. Or by referencing the PAYER’S Name and PAYER’S Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) in the upper left of the form. 

    Contact the DFAS Tax Office at <> with any information received in steps A and B above.  
  • Can you provide a breakdown of the monies reported on my 1099-MISC/1099-NEC tax statement?
    Please send an email with your question(s) to  Include the name as it reads on the 1099 tax statement as well as all contract numbers, cage codes (if applicable) and provide a brief summary of your request.
  • Who do I contact or how do I change my address to ensure I receive my tax form timely?
    For vendors with a contract - Any address changes will need to be updated in the System for Award Management (SAM) and through your contracting officer.
    For vendors with a non-contractual payment you should contact the agency that submits payments on your behalf.
    For employees, retirees, annuitants, and service members update your myPay account.
  • What is a Form W-9?
    Form W-9, “Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification”, certifies the payee’s name and TIN, verifies they are a U.S. person, including a U.S. resident alien, and the payee is not subject to backup withholding. A business is required to obtain   taxpayer identification number (TIN) from any vendor to whom it makes payments that require the issuance of a Form 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC. Vendors that refuse to provide a TIN are subject to backup withholding.   Reference 26 CFR § 31.3406(h)-3
  • I am a corporation, why did I receive a 1099-MISC form?
    We are a Federal agency, and as such, are required by law and IRS regulations to issue tax forms to corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships for services rendered to and paid for by the U.S. Government.  The private sector does not have this requirement.
Page updated Feb. 10, 2021