Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET


Frequently Asked Questions

Click to report the death of a retiree

Click to request a duplicate 1099-R

Click to request a mailed 1095B


R&A Pay establishes, maintains and pays military retirees, and their eligible surviving spouses and other family members.

Who We Are, What We Do
Who to Contact? DFAS, the VA or the Military
How Long Does It Take?




Retiree Newsletter

Survivor SBP Newsletter

Find out the latest news and helpful information.

Retiree and Annuitant Pay Dates - See the full schedule here

Retiree payments will be made as scheduled on December 1, 2021. Annuitant payments will be made as scheduled on December 1, 2021. 

2022 Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA)

Based on the increase in the Consumer Price Index, there will be a 5.9 percent Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for most retired pay and Survivor Benefit Plan annuities, and the Special Survivor Indemnity Allowance (SSIA), effective Dec. 1, 2021.

With the COLA applied, the maximum amount of SSIA payable will be $346.

Retirees will see the change in their Dec. 30, 2021 payment and annuitants in their Jan. 3, 2022 payment.

For details, see the Fiscal Year 2022 COLA Memorandum:

Great News for Reserve and Guard Gray Area Retirees 

If you’re retired from the Guard or Reserve but not yet at the age to receive retired pay, we have important news for you. Gray Area Retirees now have a new way to stay connected and informed between the time they stop drilling and when they receive retired pay. It’s a new kind of myPay account that helps you keep your contact information current so that you can stay on top of your future retired pay. Click here for the Retiree Newsletter article or click here to find out how to log on.

SBP-DIC Offset Phased Elimination - Phase Two Begins January 2022

This coming January marks the start of the second phase of the SBP-DIC Offset Phased Elimination, in accordance with the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020, which modified the law that requires an offset of Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) payments for surviving spouses who are also entitled to Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

In Phase Two of the SBP-DIC Offset Phased Elimination, which begins January 1, 2022, the amount that is offset (deducted) from the spouse’s SBP annuity payment will be one-third of the amount of the DIC payment. To help surviving spouses who are eligible for both SBP and DIC in 2022 understand the effect of this 2022 change, DFAS will mail you a letter with an individual estimate of your 2022 SBP payment. Watch for the letter in your mail in December of 2021. See our full range of FAQs on the SBP-DIC News webpage

*Note: the change in the law does NOT affect the amount of DIC you receive from the VA. You should continue to receive your normal DIC amount from the VA.*

Special Information for Active Duty/Line of Duty Surviving Spouses Who Elected the Optional Annuity for Dependent Children

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 directed that as of January 1, 2023, the Optional Annuity for Dependent Children will be eliminated and the SBP annuity payment must revert to the surviving spouse (if the spouse submits documentation and is eligible). Later this year, we will mail you a packet with the documents we need from you determine your eligibility for SBP annuity payments and set up your account to begin your payments (if you are eligible) when the changes take effect on January 1, 2023. If we receive your completed documents early, we can provide you with the assessment of your future SBP eligibility well in advance of 2023. We will mail this packet in late November of 2021.

Please check our special focus webpage for news and information regarding this change and transition. We will post updates on this webpage when the packets are in the mail, so please plan to check it for news and information:

Check Out Our New Survivor SBP Newsletter - Second Issue Now Online! 

DFAS has a new Survivor SBP Newsletter! Check out the second issue, with lots of news and helpful info for survivors/SBP annuitants. Learn all about the upcoming changes to the SBP-DIC offset, our new status notifications, changes to simplify annuitant eligibility verification requirements, and more! Get it here:  

SBP Student Child Annuitants: Need to submit your school cert? We have helpful tools for you!

We have helpful tools and info for you: a Form Wizard to help you fill out the DD 2788 form easily and correctly, a special How-To Checklist, and an online upload tool on

Check them out on the School Certifications webpage.
Annuitants and Guardians/Legal Representatives of Annuitants 

We are working to simplify the process of verifying continuing eligibility for Survivor Benefit Plan annuitants. The newest change reduces the number of annuitants who need to submit a Report of Existence (ROE). Now, the only annuitants who need to submit an ROE are those who receive a paper check to a foreign address. Previously, the legal representatives for all incapacitated annuitants were required to submit an ROE twice each year. 

There is a new overview and a downloadable PDF fact sheet of the eligibility verification requirements for annuitants on our “Manage Your SBP Annuity” webpage. We hope this information will help our customers better understand their role in keeping their annuity accounts current.

New Status Notifications Rolling Out in 2021

Retired & Annuitant Pay is rolling out new, helpful Status Notifications this year to keep you in the loop as forms or documents you submit move through the retired pay or annuitant pay processing cycles. The Status Notifications will be sent primarily via SmartDoc email, so make sure you have an up-to-date email in your myPay profile so you can receive them.

Read more about the Status Notifications project in this newsletter article.

Tax Statements for Former Spouses Now in myPay

Former Spouses can now view/print/download tax year 2020 1099-Rs conveniently from myPay:
Plus 1099-Rs are available for up to four previous tax years. If you’re not using myPay, now is a great time to get started: look for “New User” on the myPay homepage. 

TRICARE Enrollment Fee Allotments 

Please contact your TRICARE regional contract. DFAS cannot set up these allotments. They must be set up by TRICARE through the regional contractors. Please note: only Retirees can set up allotments from their pay. Allotments cannot be paid from SBP or SSIA annuity pay

The information to set up allotments through the regional contractors is as follows:

Humana Military
Allotments can be set up online or via phone. For more information on setting up allotments, visit or call 1-800-444-5445. 

Health Net
Allotments can be setup online, via telephone self-service, or by paper application. For more instructions on setting up allotments, visit or call 1-844-866-9378. 

TRICARE Overseas
International SOS
For Country Specific Toll-Free Numbers, visit:
Please contact your country-specific number via phone for more information about setting up your allotment.

Spouses and Children of Recently-Deceased Retirees

We have new tools and information to assist you with the SF 1174 for claiming the retiree’s Arrears of Pay. We can now deposit an Arrears of Pay (AOP) payment directly to an eligible claimant’s bank account instead of mailing a check. And we have an online upload option that will provide you with status notifications. Please see the How to Claim Arrears of Pay Using the 1174 page for details.

Spouses, Eligible Former Spouses, and Children of Deceased Retirees

We have new tools and information to assist you with the DD Form 2656-7 for starting a Survivor Benefit Plan Annuity. We have a Form Wizard to help fill out the form correctly and easily. And we have an online upload option that will provide you with status notifications. Please see the Start an SBP Annuity page for details.

Processing Time Frames - How Long Does It Take?

Please see our new webpage for current typical processing time frames: How Long Does It Take?

R&A Pay is Expanding Communication through Emailed SmartDocs

As part of our commitment to continually improving our customer service, R&A Pay is expanding the use of emailed SmartDocs as a way to communicate about changes to your account and actions that may be needed. Email notifications will speed up the time it takes to notify you about your account. If you don’t yet have an email address in myPay, please add one now so you can receive these email notifications. 

Direct Deposit Required

A treasury mandate requires us to pay our customers electronically. Most military retirees and annuitants getting paper checks need to set up direct deposit. Start direct deposit now.

Direct Express® Debit Card Program provides members who do not have a bank account an alternative to payment by EFT.

Direct Deposit Bank Account Changes

Follow these steps to avoid missing or incorrect payments!

Same-Sex Marriage SBP

Department of Defense issued implementing guidance extending SBP coverage to same-sex spouses of military members and retirees.



Pay Schedule

Pay Verification / Proof of Income

Survivor Benefit Plan Information


Get My 1099R

Correct My 1099R

Change My Arrears of Pay Beneficiary

Start or Change Direct Deposit

Change My Address

Manage My Allotments

Start International Direct Deposit

Report a Retiree's Death

Report an SBP Annuitant's Death

myPay Puts You In Control

myPay: Get started guide

The most convenient way to manage your retirement account is through myPay, our online account management system.

myPay Login Instructions:

If you've never logged into myPay

If you forgot your login ID

If you forgot your password


Page updated Nov 19, 2021