Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET


Frequently Asked Questions

Manage your SBP Annuity

As the beneficiary of a deceased military retiree's Survivor Benefit Plan, you can expect a payment every month.  The benefit, also known as an annuity, is usually paid for the rest of your life or until you become ineligible.


Please see our SBP-DIC News webpage for news on the SBP-DIC Offset Phased Elimination - January 2021 SBP and SSIA payments are paid on February 1, 2021. 

Please see our School Certification page for news on the school certification process.


Annual Certification of Eligibility

Effective Aug. 1, 2013, most Survivor Benefit Plan annuitants over the age of 55 are no longer required to complete and submit an annual Certificate of Eligibility to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. Annuitants should no longer expect to receive the annual COE once they reach age 55. Their eligibility to receive annuity payments will continue without submitting the COE.

The following annuitants will continue to receive annual COEs and must submit their completed forms to DFAS to continue annuity payment eligibility:

  • Annuitants under 55 years of age
  • Annuitants who are receiving hard copy checks in a foreign country (regardless of age)
  • Annuitants who have a permanent disability (regardless of age)

If you are in any of these categories, send your annual COE to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Annuitant Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1300

We will send you a reminder when your COE is due.  Please be sure to notify DFAS if you move, so that we can continue to send you important notices and reminders.

Terms and Conditions of Your SBP Annuity

As a new annuitant, you should educate yourself about the terms and conditions of your annuity.

There are a number of reasons you could lose your eligibility to receive your annuity. Your payment could be temporarily or even permanently suspended.

You also should be familiar with regulations that prevent some surviving spouses from collecting full SBP payments from DFAS while receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation from the Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA). Please see the Understanding SBP, DIC, and SSIA webpage for more information.

When a child annuitant’s account is suspended, a dependent child’s share will not be reapportioned until evidence is received that the child’s eligibility has ended. 

To receive continuing SBP funds, a child annuitant who is over 18 and attending school must submit a Child Annuitant's School Certification (DD 2788) form and, if appropriate, a Child Annuitant’s Certification for Previous Attendance Letter, certifying their full-time attendance in school. If the school certification for a child annuitant over the age of 18 is not received, the child annuitant’s account is suspended and the portion of the funds due the annuitant are held. Find out more about school certifications here

Previously, if the child annuitant did not submit proof of eligibility, six months after the account was suspended the funds were reapportioned and paid equally to the eligible siblings of the child annuitant. Now, when a child annuitant’s account is suspended, the funds will be held until the child annuitant is proven eligible or ineligible. 

Please review the terms and conditions of your SBP annuity on the following page:

Providing for Your Loved Ones: Educate Your Beneficiary

Services for Annuitants

As long as you maintain your eligibility, you can expect to receive the following services from DFAS Retired and Annuitant (R&A) Pay:

Manage Your Account with myPay

The quickest and most convenient way to manage your annuity pay is with myPay. This online account management system puts you in control of your own account. You can use myPay to view your SBP annuity account detail, including your Annuitant Account Statement, change Direct Deposit information, change your mailing address, and print and view IRS forms, such as the 1099R.

How to Get Started with myPay

If you've never used myPay, go to https://mypay.dfas.mil using the internet from your computer or your mobile device browser and click "Forgot or Need a Password" to have a temporary password mailed to you. The password will be mailed via regular mail to the address you have on file with DFAS and you will receive it in about 10 business days. Once you have received a password, return to the myPay home page and click "Create your myPay Profile" to get started. Enter your SSN and temporary password.

Here's our handy downloadable "Get Started with myPay" guide. Or watch the "Get Started with myPay" how-to video on our YouTube channel. 

Annuitant Account Statement

The Annuitant Account Statement (AAS) is issued annually through myPay or when changes are made to the account that affect net pay. Use it to verify payment, tax information, and to keep informed about your account.


When you fill out a W4P and mail or fax it to DFAS Military Annuitant Pay, we will withhold federal income taxes from your annuity payment. Every January, we will issue a 1099R statement that you will need to complete your tax return. 

1099-R Reissues

We have easy, convenient options to get a copy of your 1099-R tax document without having to call and wait on hold to speak to someone:

myPay: Your 1099-R is available much earlier and more securely in myPay than those sent to customers who choose delivery by mail. If you're not using myPay, now is the time to get started. See the myPay section above for how to get started. 

AskDFAS online request: Even if you are not a myPay user, you can get a copy 1099-R sent to your mailing address on record or to a one-time, temporary mailing address by submitting your request online..

If you prefer traditional mail, you can send us a written request by mail (or fax), but please make sure you leave ample time for processing and for the mail:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Annuitant Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1300

Annuitant fax: 800-982-8459

R&A Pay cannot withhold state taxes for annuitants.


Page updated Jan 13, 2021