Quick Tools

Forms Library

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Transferring Allotments from Active Duty to Retired Pay


You can choose to have a portion of your retired pay go to another institution through an allotment. This allows you to pay bills, insurance premiums, mortgages, etc., directly from your retired pay, just as you did on active duty.

At least 30 days prior to the date of your retirement, you should review your Active Duty myPay account, and make sure you have identified the allotments you would like to carry over with you into retirement.

It is important to verify that your retirement pay will be sufficient to cover all your allotments. You may need to make some adjustments in amounts for your retired pay.

Any allotments that have been established for less than 30 days prior to the time of your retirement may have to be re-established after you receive your first retired pay payment.

Some types of new allotments can be established through your myPay account.

Most other voluntary allotments can be started, stopped or changed by completing DD Form 2558 Authorization to Start, Stop or Change an Allotment.

Submit your completed DD Form 2558 to our convenient askDFAS online upload tool on the DFAS.mil website - available online 24/7.

You can also mail or fax the completed DD Form 2558:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

Or, Fax:  800-469-6559

If you have questions about managing your allotment, call 800-321-1080.

Related Links:

More about allotments
Manage Your Retirement Using myPay

Page Updated Jul 12 2023