Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Quick Tools

Frequently Asked Questions


Report a SBP Annuitant's Death

Eligibility for Survivor Benefit Plan annuity pay ends with the death of the annuitant. Prompt reporting of the annuitant's death can help avoid delay in the final settlement of the annuity. All outstanding checks or direct deposits must be returned to DFAS before a settlement of arrears of annuity may be made.

Please follow the steps below to report the death of an annuitant:

Step 1 - Please call 800-321-1080 to report the death of the annuitant.

Step 2 – Please send a copy of the annuitant’s death certificate showing cause of death to:

DFAS U.S. Military Annuitant Pay

8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1300

FAX: 800-982-8459

Step 3 - Please inform the financial institution receiving payments about the death of the annuitant.

Contact List:  In addition to notifying DFAS, you should also notify the following agencies/departments as soon as possible:

Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System at 800-538-9552.

Department of Veterans Affairs at 800-827-1000 for annuitants receiving Dependency Indemnity Compensation.

Related Link:

Apply for Arrears of Annuity