Common Errors to Avoid

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense

Top Errors on Military PCS Travel Vouchers

Incomplete or inaccurate vouchers delay or prevent payment. Avoid these common errors:

  1. Using an outdated DD 1351-2 Travel Voucher Form. Make sure you have the form dated May 2011.
  2. Inaccurate / incomplete administrative information on DD 1351-2 (Blocks 1-14).
  3. Missing orders (attachments, endorsements, amendments, etc.). Often travelers fail to send in the page containing the official seal. Be sure to include! 
  4. Incomplete itinerary on DD 1351-2 (Block 15)
  5. Missing traveler’s official signature & date (Block 20 a-b)
  6. Missing Reviewer/Approving official signature & dates (Block 20 c-d)
  7. Incomplete type of payment (Block 5)
  8. Missing the amount of advances received (Block 9)

If the PCS voucher was not fully paid due to an error or omission, a supplemental travel voucher can be submitted.

Additional Tips

Personal Vehicle Use: When using a personal vehicle, be sure to complete Box 16 of Form DD 1351-2
Lodging Costs: Submit all receipt copies for lodging costs,
regardless of amount.
Expenses $75 or more: Submit all receipts for all expenses incurred
for $75.00 or more
Accruals/Advances:   Submit data related to all previous accruals/advances received from finance offices (non-submission of previous payment data will result in payment delay).
Form DA 31 Leave Form: Complete this form (or leave must be annotated
on the DD 1351-2)
Statement of Non-Availability: Stayed in a commercial hotel due to unavailability of quarters on base? Include this statement to receive reimbursement for commercial lodging and meals.
Authorized TDY: If you are authorized TDY en route, please ensure that your orders reflect accurate and complete TDY information. 
Separate Orders: Although your TDY en route information should be included on your PCS order, sometimes you may receive separate orders.  Submit copies of any/all orders received.
Direct Deposit Information:

Travel Advances:
Only submit SF 1199 if your financial institution changed since your last TDY or PCS move.

- Select all applicable payment types in Block 5 of the DD 1351-2 to make sure you receive all authorized entitlements.
- You must select "DLA" in Block 5 if you received this type of advance.
- List the amounts of all previous advances in Block 9 on the DD 1351-2.  If you did not receive a travel advance, put "None" in Block 9.
Note: Failing to do any of these could result in a debt to the government and possible payroll deductions.

Page updated July 30, 2019