Family Support Debit Card


The Defense Finance and Accounting Service is pleased to provide the Family Support Debit Card to the families of the nation’s Wounded Warriors.   This card is intended to provide you, the family member, with funds to cover initial travel expenses incurred while visiting your wounded service member.  Expenses you may incur include meals, lodging, local transportation and other incidentals.

Activating your card


Before you can use the Family Support Debit Card, you must activate your card by calling Chase Customer Service at 1-877-789-5895.  Please be prepared to provide the following information:

Date of birth
Social Security number
Phone number
Mother’s maiden name

You will also create a 6-digit access code and a 4-digit PIN at this time.

Using your card


All purchases and cash back amounts will come directly out of your account.

Using Your Card at ATMs

The Family Support Debit Card partners with numerous ATMS to provide you with the ability to withdraw cash without incurring a surcharge fee. For a complete list of financial institutions that have agreed to eliminate their ATM cash withdrawal fees, please review the brochure’s paper insert.  To withdraw cash, please follow these steps:

  •  Insert or swipe your card
  •  Enter your 4-digit PIN
  •  Choose “Withdrawal” then “Checking.” 
  •  Follow the instructions until the transaction is completed.
  •  Take your cash, your card, and your receipt.

Using Your Card at Retail Locations

You can use your card anywhere that accepts MasterCard debit cards.  To use your Family Support Debit Card at a retail location, just insert your card into the Point-of-Sale (POS) terminal and choose “debit” or “credit.”

If you choose DEBIT:

  • Enter your 4-digit PIN
  • Tell the clerk if you would like cash back.
  • The clerk will enter the purchase amount and the amount of cash you requested (if applicable). 
  • You will receive a receipt along with your purchases and cash (if applicable).

If you choose CREDIT: You cannot get cash back and will be asked to sign a receipt. 

Answering your questions


How much money can I withdraw from an ATM?
The Family Support Debit Card has no daily limit for ATM withdrawals. You may withdraw the maximum amount allowed by the ATM as long as it does not exceed the available balance in your Family Support Debit Card account.

Will I have to pay ATM surcharges?

The Family Support Debit Card is part of numerous ATM networks, which means you may access your money at these ATMs without incurring a fee. Please review this brochure’s insert for a detailed list of partnering financial institutions.

Please note that at AllPoint ATMs you must select “YES” to accept the surcharge and proceed with your withdrawal. You will not be charged for the surcharge, nor will the surcharge be deducted from your account.  You can verify this by checking your ATM transaction receipt. 

Many other ATM owners do charge a fee to use their machines.  If you use an ATM that issues a surcharge fee, that fee will be charged to your Family Support Debit Card account. To avoid paying surcharge fees, please withdraw cash from the partnering financial institutions.


What should I do if I lose my card?

If your Family Support Debit Card is lost, stolen, or damaged, call Chase Customer Service 1-877-789-5895 IMMEDIATELY to receive a new card.


What if I enter the wrong PIN?

If you are having trouble remembering your PIN, DO NOT try to guess. When you enter the wrong PIN on a POS terminal or ATM, you have five chances remaining to enter the correct PIN.  If the correct PIN is not entered by the sixth try, you must call Chase Customer Service or wait until after midnight to try again.

What is the difference between a PIN and an access code?

Your PIN is a four-digit number that you enter on the keypad at ATMs and retail locations.  Your access code is a six-digit number that you enter when you call Customer Service.

What if I forget my PIN or access code?

If you forget your PIN or access code, call Chase Customer Service to select a new one.  You should choose numbers that are easy for you to remember, but difficult for someone else to figure out.


What if my card does not work?

If your card does not work, please make sure that you have money left on the card.  If an ATM does not accept your card, simply try another ATM.  The first ATM may be out of service or may not be on the network that accepts the card. If your card still does not work, please contact Chase Customer Service.

What if I have a balance remaining on the card?

If there is money on your Family Support Debit Card when you are ready to return home, please liquidate the funds in one of the following ways:

  • Withdraw the remaining amount from an ATM or receive cash back at a POS terminal.
  •  If the amount you wish to withdraw is not available  due to the ATM cash increments, withdrawal limit, or any other reason, you must visit a financial institution that displays the MasterCard logo and ask a customer service representative to liquidate the card balance.

Check your balance and get other account information online at

You can access all of your account information online at the My Account Web site.  It’s safe, secure, and FREE!

Using your Family Support Debit Card number and PIN you can:

  • Check your current account balance
  • Review your transaction history
  • Change your PIN
  • Contact Customer Service

You can also get help with your Family Support Debit Card by calling Chase Customer Service at 1-877-789-5895

Keep track of your Family Support Debit Card number by writing it in the space provided below.  If your card is ever lost, stolen, or damaged, you will have your card number recorded.

Keep this information private for your protection.