7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST

Contact Us
Privacy Information


Out-of-Service Travel Advance Debts


DFAS receives and processes out-of-service civilian or military personnel travel advance debts received from field level Transportation Offices. The majority of the debts occur when travel claims are not settled prior to separation.

Image IconDFAS does not process in-service travel or transportation debts. In-service debt payments or inquiries should be directed to your local finance office.

On this page:

If You Haven't Settled Your Debt and Wish to Settle


To settle your travel advance debt, visit our online SmartVoucher Tool (Not for those using Defense Travel System (DTS) for their travel vouchers).

SmartVoucher graphic. Click to be taken to SmartVoucher.

What is SmartVoucher?

SmartVoucher makes it easy to complete travel vouchers by guiding you step-by-step through a series of questions then it creates a completed DD Form 1351-2. SmartVoucher makes sure all the required fields are filled in to create a complete and accurate voucher. You'll even get a list of supporting documents based on the answers you provided. Be sure to attach those to your submission.

How to use SmartVoucher?

Using SmartVoucher is as simple as 1…2…3… just follow the steps below:

  1. Log into SmartVoucher using your myPay ID and password.
  2. Answer a series of easy questions.
  3. Attach required forms and submit the completed voucher. After submission monitor your email for status updates on your account.

If You Have Previously Settled Your Debt

If you previously settled your debt and need to confirm, follow the steps below:

1. Prepare

Obtain a copy of your settlement voucher.

image alt text hereIf you don’t have a copy, visit Check Travel Voucher Status from a CAC enabled computer.  If you don’t have access to a CAC enabled computer and need to obtain a copy of your of your settlement voucher, call DFAS Customer Care Center at 1-888-332-7411.

2. Apply

Submit your settlement voucher via AskDFAS:

click to submit your settlement voucher via AskDFAS.

After submission, a ticket number will be emailed to you for reference and updates on your application. Please keep this ticket number until a final determination.

Do You Disagree With Your Debt?

Individuals reserve the right to dispute/protest a debt. To learn more about disputing/protesting your debt, visit Disputing your Debt.

Decorative call-to-action, click to be taken to the dispute a debt page.

Return to the Debt and Claims DFAS Homepage


Page Updated July 7, 2023