7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST

Contact Us
Privacy Information
Debt & Claims Forms

Retired Military Member Debt Waivers

On this page:

Do I Qualify for a Waiver?

Retired military claimants must submit a waiver application within five years of the date the debt was discovered by a pay official.

  • We cannot process your waiver request if you dispute your debt. You can ask your Retired Pay Office to conduct an audit before you proceed with the waiver application process. Once your audit is complete, you can pursue a waiver.  If your account was audited, ensure that you attach the results of your audit, and a statement acknowledging the validity of the debt, with the waiver application.
  • Retired member debts incurred after retirement are not eligible for remission. If you are retired and your debt occurred while on active duty after October 7, 2001, you may eligible to request remission.

What Do I Need for My Waiver to be Considered?

To apply for a waiver you must:

✓ Have a debt established on your pay account.
✓ Submit a waiver request within five years of the date the debt was discovered by a pay official.
✓ Agree to the validity of the debt.
✓ Provide documentation to support your waiver request. Required documentation to support your request may vary based on the type of debt you have incurred and your circumstances. These documents could be the forms you submitted which authorized payments that caused the debts, Retiree Account Statements Statements (RASs) for the entire debt period, etc. Additional supporting documentation MAY include the following:
  • Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)
  • Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL)
  • Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) 
  • Retired Pay Audit Results
  • DD Form 214
  • Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL)
  • Disability ratings
  • Separation orders
  • Divorce decree
  • VA Form 21-526
  • Medical Evaluation Board Findings
  • VA Form 21-651

How Do I Apply for a Waiver?

To submit your request for a debt waiver follow the steps below:

Note: Failure to provide supporting documents may delay or prevent consideration of your waiver request.

1. Contact the Retired Pay Office

This office should be able to explain the debt, ensure you understand the amount of the debt, and why it was established. If you did not receive a debt notification letter, you may call the Retired Pay Office at 1-800-321-1080. Once they have explained your debt, you may proceed with applying for a waiver.

2. Prepare

Complete boxes 1-19 on the DD Form 2789 – Waiver/Remission of Indebtedness Application, and gather supporting documents. *Please note: You may need to right click to download or the save the documents to your computer before you are able to fill them out.*

Decorative digital form icon. SmartForm: For step-by-step guidance to help complete your DD Form 2789, click here.

Adobe Acrobat PDF Document Image PDF: Download and complete your DD Form 2789 in PDF format, click here.

To access DD Form 2789 instructions, click here.

3. Apply

Sign the DD Form 2789. Failure to do so may result in delayed processing. Submit the completed form and other required documentation to your Retired Pay Office. They will complete the remaining sections of the DD Form 2789 and submit the application to DFAS for consideration.

Return to the Debt and Claims DFAS Homepage


Page updated March 8, 2023