7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST

Contact Us
Privacy Information
Debt & Claims Forms

Federal Civilian Employees (Active/Separated/Retired) Debt Waivers

On this page:

Do I Qualify for a Waiver?

Civilian Employee claimants must submit a waiver application within three years of the date the debt was discovered by a pay official.

  • We cannot process your waiver request if you dispute your debt. You can ask your servicing finance or payroll office (former employees only - contact the Civilian Payroll Office at 1-800-729-3277) to request an audit before you proceed with the waiver application process. Once your audit is complete, you can pursue a waiver. If your account was audited, ensure that you attach the results of your audit, and a statement acknowledging the validity of the debt, with the waiver application.

What Do I Need for My Waiver to be Considered?

To apply for a waiver you must:

✓ Have a debt established on your pay account.
✓ Submit a waiver request within three years of the date the debt was discovered by a pay official.
✓ Agree to the validity of the debt.
✓ Provide documentation to support your waiver request. ​ Required documentation may vary based on the type of debt you have incurred and your circumstances.  Provide all documents that describe how and why the debt occurred. If you reference a document in your waiver application you must provide the document. Supporting documentation MAY include:
  • DD Form 1352-2's
  • SF-1190's
  • DD Form 1610
  • SF-2810 (FEHB Change)
  • Employment Contracts
  • SF-2817 (FEGLI Election)
  • Leave and Earning Statements (LES)
  • SF-2890 (FEHB Election)
  • Memoranda
  • Time cards (during the time period of the debt, including three pay periods before and after the period of indebtedness.)
  • Offer letters
  • SF-50's (during the time period of the debt, including three pay periods before and after the period of indebtedness.) To obtain, contact your current or former pay office, to locate copies from your Official Personnel File (OPF)
  • Orders/Amendments
 *Failure to provide supporting documents may delay or prevent consideration of your waiver request

How Do I Apply for a Waiver?

To submit your request for a debt waiver follow the steps below:

1. Contact Your Payroll Office

This office should be able to explain the debt, ensure you understand the amount of the debt, and why it was established. If you did not receive a debt notification letter, you may call the Civilian Payroll Office at 1-800-729-3277. Once they have explained the debt, you may proceed with applying for a waiver. 

2. Prepare

Complete boxes 1-19 on the DD Form 2789 – Waiver/Remission of Indebtedness Application and gather supporting documents. *Please note: You may need to right click to download or the save the documents to your computer before you are able to fill them out.*

Decorative digital window icon. SmartForm: For step-by-step guidance to help complete your DD Form 2789, click here.

Adobe Acrobat PDF Document Image PDF: Download and complete your DD Form 2789 in PDF format, click here.

To access DD Form 2789 instructions, click here.

3. Apply

Sign the DD Form 2789. Failure to do so may result in delayed processing. Submit the completed form and other required documentation to the appropriate office based on your service status.
Collapse All Expand All

Submit your packet to the address on the debt notification letter. The responsible office will complete the remaining sections of the DD Form 2789 and submit the application to the appropriate office for consideration. 


Separated or Retired Civilian Employee

Submit your completed packet via AskDFAS.

How to Submit your Packet to Request a waiver via AskDFAS:

AskDFAS button. Click to be taken to the request a waiver page.

After submitting via AskDFAS, a ticket number will be emailed to you for reference and updates. Please keep this ticket number for your reference.

Return to the Debt and Claims DFAS Homepage

Page updated March 8, 2023