Quick Tools

Forms Library

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Tax Season is Here Again

As we enter another tax season, we want to make sure you are aware of all of the options you have for getting your tax documents.

We recommend you take advantage of myPay. A myPay account is your one-stop source for all of your most important retired pay information, including your 1099-R. 

In fact, by the time you read this newsletter, retiree 1099-Rs will be available in myPay (December 15, 2020) and annuitant 1099-Rs will be available soon after (December 19, 2020). 

If you have requested your 1099-R to be mailed, it will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service no later than January 31, 2021.  

Get your 1099-R and pay information 24/7 in myPay 

The fastest and most secure way to obtain a copy of your 1099-R is through myPay. Retirees and annuitants can log in to myPay, and print a 1099-R from the comfort of their home. Instructions are at: https://mypay.dfas.mil 

If you’re not using myPay, now is a great time to get started. myPay is now more mobile-friendly. That means it’s easier to manage your pay account using the web browser on your computer or with a connected device, like your smartphone or tablet. 

The advantage of using myPay is that your 1099-R tax statement will be available much sooner in myPay than through postal mail. 1099-Rs generally become available in myPay in late December, while paper copies aren’t mailed until later in January. In addition, in myPay you can download or print your current year tax statement, as well as prior year 1099-Rs (up to four prior years for retirees and up to two prior years for annuitants). 

While you’re in myPay, you can also easily check to make sure we have your correct mailing address and email address.

The self-service options available through myPay simplify the management of your military retirement or annuity and give you access to personalized information about your account. 

It’s Easy to Get Started With myPay

If you’ve never used myPay, you can request an initial password on the myPay homepage using the  “Forgot or Need a Password” link. The password will be mailed to the address you have on file with DFAS and you will receive it in about 10 business days. 

Once you receive your password in the mail, you can return to the myPay homepage and log in with your social security number and the password you received in the mail to create your myPay profile. 

We have a downloadable step-by-step Get Started Guide to myPay on our website and a how-to video on the DFAS YouTube channel

Reactivating your myPay account

We know that some of you only use myPay once a year to get your 1099-R during tax season. Then, when you do try to access your account, you discover that your password is expired, lost or forgotten. If this sounds like something that has happened to you, please update your password now.

Waiting to update your password might mean longer wait times and potential delays in receiving your tax documents. 

If your myPay account is in an inactive status because your password has expired, you can follow the simple steps below to reactivate your account. 
1. Go to mypay.dfas.mil in your web browser on a computer or connected device
2. Click on the “Forgot or Need a Password?” link and enter your Login ID or Social Security Number
3. Choose to send a temporary password to your email or mailing address of record
4. When you receive the temporary password, go back to myPay and log in to reactivate your account. 

Additional Ways to Get Your 1099-R 

If you are not using myPay, we offer other convenient options to get or replace an IRS Form 1099-R. 

For retirees, if your mailing address on file with DFAS is current, you can get a copy of your 1099-R through our telephone self-service option. To use telephone self-service:
• Call 800-321-1080
• Select option “1” for Self-Serve
• Select option “1”
• Enter your Social Security Number when prompted
Your 1099-R should be in the mail within 7-10 business days to the address we have on record. Please note that 1099-R reissues requested through the telephone self-service option cannot be mailed prior to February 10, 2021. 

If the address you have on file with DFAS is out of date and you are not a myPay user, you (both retirees and annuitants) can get your 1099-R sent to a one-time, temporary mailing address, or to your mailing address on record by submitting your request online. Plus, you can request prior year 1099-Rs. Please note that 1099-R reissues requested through AskDFAS cannot be mailed prior to February 10, 2021. Your 1099-R will be in the mail in about seven to ten business days. Find instructions at: http://go.usa.gov/xPh7H

If you prefer traditional mail, you can send us a written request by fax or mail, but please make sure you leave time for processing. It can take up to 30 days to process requests received by fax or mail. Please note that 1099-R reissues requested via written request cannot be mailed prior to February 10, 2021. Find instructions at: http://go.usa.gov/xAYCe 

Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of our customer care representatives. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while we assist other customers. Please note that 1099-R reissues requested from our customer care center cannot be mailed prior to February 10, 2021. For more information, check out: http://go.usa.gov/xAYrC​

Changing Your Federal Tax Withholding 

If you need to change your withholding, you can do it easily in myPay. Or you can fill out and mail an IRS Form W-4 if you are a military retiree or an IRS Form W-4P if you are an SBP annuitant. Be sure to use the 2020 forms if you are sending the form before January 1, 2021. The forms are available on the IRS website and are also linked from our Forms page. 

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) recently published a new version of Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate, for the 2021 tax year.   

Please note: You are not required to file a new Form W-4.    

DFAS customer service representatives cannot provide tax advice or recommendations on withholding. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions about your taxes. 

The IRS Tax Withholding Estimator 

The IRS has an online Tax Withholding Estimator to help you determine how much tax you need to have withheld. The calculator helps taxpayers estimate if the right amount is being withheld from their income to cover their tax liability. The estimator uses a simple, six-step question-and-answer format using information like marital or filing status, income, withholding, adjustments, deductions and credits. 

The mobile-friendly estimator replaces the Withholding Calculator:  www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

Page Updated Dec 16, 2020