Tax Season Update

As we proceed through tax season, some of you may be searching for your tax documents. All 1099-R’s were mailed on time, prior to January 31, 2021. However, after the mailing was out the door, a printing error was discovered. On some retiree 1099-R’s, the final digit of the Payer’s Federal Identification Number (FIN) was cut off. To correct this printing error, we mailed a revised copy of those 1099-Rs. The last statement went out the door on February 1, 2021, and you should have a copy in your hands by this point.

However, if for whatever reason you need a reissue, the fastest and most secure way to obtain a copy of their 1099-R is through myPay. Not only is it easy for you to access your account information through myPay, but prior year 1099-Rs are also available (retirees up to four prior years; annuitants up to two prior years).

Instructions to access these documents are at If you aren’t a frequent user of myPay, now is a great time to get started, as it is now simpler, streamlined and more mobile-friendly. If you use myPay, you can easily check to make sure we have your correct mailing address and email address.

If you are a retiree, DFAS also provides a self-serve telephone option. Retirees can access the phone option at 1-800-321-1080. If you are a retiree and you use the phone option, please ensure that your current mailing address is correct.

Retirees or annuitants can also use the online AskDFAS 1099R request form. It has an option to direct the reissue to your interim address. You should receive your reissue in seven to ten business days. Using the online option allows you to request prior year 1099-Rs.

If you use the option to direct your reissue to an interim address, it does not change your permanent address of record for future mailings. To change your permanent address of record, you need to mail a DD 2866 address change request or use our online AskDFAS version of the DD 2866.

Changing Your Federal Tax Withholding

You can verify and update your tax withholding information easily in myPay by clicking on “Federal Withholding” under “Pay Changes” in the menu on the left.

If you need to change your federal withholding, you can do it easily in myPay. Or you can fill out and fax or mail an IRS Form W-4 if you are a military retiree or an IRS Form W-4P if you are an SBP annuitant. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) published Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate, for the 2021 tax year. Be sure to use the 2021 version when submitting changes to your federal tax withholding. The forms are available on the IRS website and are also linked from our Forms page.

It’s important to note that you are not required to file a new IRS Form W-4, unless you are claiming exemption from federal taxes. If you are a retiree claiming exemption from federal taxes then you must submit a new W-4 every year. This is an IRS requirement, NOT a DFAS requirement. If you file a paper form, the word “EXEMPT” must be written above the signature and date.

On the IRS W-4 form, Step 1 and Step 5 are the critical steps that need to be filled out. Without this information, DFAS cannot process any updates to your account.

Step 1 is Personal Information, including filing status. On the W-4, taxpayers now must choose either Single, Married, or Head of Household instead of the previous statuses where a taxpayer may have chosen, for example, Married with two deductions (M-02) or Single with no deductions (S-00).

For Step 3 and Step 4, you should follow the instructions carefully. Some retirees have sent W-4s with additional income or withholding that causes their net pay to be zero. DFAS cannot process these, so we will leave the tax withholding as is and send a letter.

Step 5 is the filer’s signature and date. We cannot process a W-4 that is not signed and dated.

Please keep in mind that DFAS is unable to provide tax advice. If you have tax or withholding questions, we recommend you consult a tax professional or the IRS website at You can also use the IRS estimator:

Page updated March 17, 2021