Employment Compensation from a Foreign Government Can Impact Your Retired Pay


Did You Know: Your military retired pay can be impacted if you receive compensation from a foreign government without advance permission?
The U.S. Constitution prohibits federal government employees from accepting compensation, gifts, or titles from foreign governments without the prior consent of Congress. This prohibition also applies to military retirees. Congress granted its consent to retirees seeking foreign government employment so long as the retirees obtain the advance approvals required by 37 U.S.C. § 908. Retirees who are considering accepting foreign government employment for compensation must receive approval in advance of receiving the compensation. In general, the Secretary of State and the Service Secretary from which you retired must both approve the employment/compensation. If the foreign government payment or award is limited to speeches, travel, meals, lodging, registration fees, or non-cash awards, you only need approval by the Service Secretary from which you retired. The purpose of this restriction is to prevent the exercise of undue influence by foreign governments on retired members of the United States military.
If a retired member accepts compensation from a foreign government or foreign government controlled entity for employment or for speeches, travel, meals, lodging, registration fees, or non-cash awards without prior approval, the member’s retired pay becomes subject to a withholding and/or debt, generally in an amount equal to the total amounts received from the foreign government.
To request approval of compensation from a foreign government for employment, speeches, travel, meals, lodging registration fees or a non-cash award, retirees should contact their Branch of Service at the appropriate address listed below. Retirees may also review the Service Instructions listed below that are publicly available on the web or by contacting the appropriate POC listed below. There are other laws that restrict some retirees from representing a foreign government entity before U.S. government agency or officials, or that may require additional approvals, such as the Foreign Agents Registration Act and the International Traffic in Arms regulations. Retirees should consult with their employer’s human resources or general counsel offices for guidance on whether these other requirements apply.
Service Service POC Address Service Instruction
U.S. Air
Retirees (Regular and Retired Reserve): Contact the
AFPC Airman and Family Sustainment Branch (AFPC/DPFFF)
Website:  https://www.retirees.af.mil/Foreign-Government-Employment/
Email:  Afpc.retiree@us.af.mil
Comm: 210-565-4725
Department of the Air Force Instruction
36-2913 of 1 July 2020
IC 24 August 2023
Retired Reserve members awaiting
pay and members assigned to the
Inactive Status List Reserve Section:
Contact the
Air Reserve Personnel Center
Reserve Service Programs Branch
1840 E. Silver Creek Ave, Bldg 390
Buckley AFB CO 80011
U.S. Army Members who desire to accept
employment with a foreign
government should contact:
Commander, U.S. Army Human
Resources Command (AHRC -PDR)
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox KY 40122 – 5402
Or e-mail to:
Army Regulation 600 – 291
(Foreign Government
Employment) of 7 September
U.S. Navy Chief of Naval Personnel/OPNAV N1
Attn: Legal Counsel
701 S. Courthouse Rd
Arlington VA 22204
Telephone: (703) 604-3399
Or e-mail to: navyfge.fct@navy.mil
Navy Ethics website
Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps
Separation and Retirement Branch,
Manpower and
Reserve Affairs (MMSR-6)
3280 Russell Rd
Quantico VA 22134-5103
Telephone: (703) 784-9310/9311
NAVSO P-1778 (Rev Apr
2000) "Reference Guide To
Post Government Service
Employment Activities of DON


Page Updated Sept 27 2023