Quick Tools

Forms Library

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Military Retired Pay Tax Season Tips


April 15, 2024, is the tax deadline and now is a good time to make sure you have all your tax documents ready. Here is a summary of current information and tools available if you are missing documents. 
Retiree 1099-Rs were available in myPay as of December 18, 2023. As of January 13, 2024, 1099-Rs were in the mail for those who requested mailed statements. 
For those who may not know, the 1099-R is the retiree tax statement, like the W-2 provided to wage earners. The 1099-R documents show how much was withheld in taxes – and must be filed with your tax return.
The best way to obtain your 1099-R is to use myPay, https://mypay.dfas.mil. With a myPay account, you can find the most important retired pay information, including your 1099-R. 
The advantage of using myPay is you have 24/7 access to your tax documents. You can print/download the current year tax statement and access previous 1099-Rs in myPay (up to four prior years for retirees) to compare, or if you need to file an amended return.  

Requesting a Duplicate 1099-R 

If you are not using myPay yet, we do offer other convenient options to request a replacement IRS Form 1099-R.  
As of February 12, 2024, you can get your 1099-Rs sent to the address on file with DFAS or to a one-time, temporary mailing address by submitting a request online. Our online request tool also accepts international addresses. It’s easy to find on our Quick Tools webpage: https://www.dfas.mil/raquicktools 
DFAS also provides a self-service telephone option for retirees. Retirees can access the phone option at 1-800-321-1080. If you are a retiree using the phone option, please verify your current mailing address is correct. The telephone option is currently available for retirees and only for the current year tax statement.

Instructions for using the telephone self-service option for 1099-R reissue requests:
  • Call 1-800-321-1080 or 317-212-0551

  • Select option “1” for Self-Serve

  • Select option “1” to request copies of your tax documents

  • Select option "1” 1099-R

  • Enter your Social Security Number when prompted

The 1099-R should be in the mail within 7-10 business days to the address we have on record.  
If you need to update your mailing address first, you can do it in myPay or use our online address change form for retirees at: https://www.dfas.mil/raonlinetools
If you prefer traditional mail, you can send us a written request by fax or mail, but please make sure to leave time for processing. It can take up to 30 days to process requests received by fax or mail. Find instructions: https://www.dfas.mil/rettaxes 
Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of our customer care representatives. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while we assist other customers. For more information, go to: https://www.dfas.mil/racustomers

Changing Your Federal Tax Withholding 

If you need to change your withholding, you can do it easily in myPay. You can also fill out and mail an IRS Form W-4 if you are a military retiree. The form is available on the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov) and is also linked from the DFAS Forms webpage: https://www.dfas.mil/raforms 
Please note: You are not required to file a new Form W-4 unless you claim exemption from federal tax withholding. If you claim exemption, the IRS requires you file a new W-4 at the beginning of EACH tax year.  
Military retired pay is paid for many different reasons under numerous laws. There are differences in the types of pay a military retiree might receive and the tax laws that apply to them. Whether a portion or all of an individual’s military retired pay is subject to federal income taxes depends on his/her individual circumstances.  
An individual’s choice to have no withholding for federal taxes does not impact whether the individual’s military retired pay is actually subject to federal income taxes. Ultimately, the IRS will determine the amount of taxes owed on the military retired pay.  
Please see our webpage regarding taxation of retired pay: https://www.dfas.mil/retpaytax 

The IRS Tax Withholding Estimator 

The IRS has an online Tax Withholding Estimator to help you determine the amount of taxes you need to have withheld. The estimator helps taxpayers determine if the right amount is being withheld from their income to cover their tax liability.  
The estimator uses a simple, six-step question-and-answer format using information like marital or filing status, income, withholding, adjustments, deductions, and credits. 
The mobile-friendly estimator is available at: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator 


March 27, 2024