Quick Tools

Forms Library

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

There’s Still Time to Get a Head Start on Tax Season

     If you didn’t get a head start on your tax paperwork as we suggested in the September newsletter, you still have time. But, you shouldn’t wait until crunch time: one study shows 32 percent of all Americans procrastinate on taxes. Make sure you have everything set up so you can get your tax documents for filing.

     The best step you can take is to use your myPay account (https://mypay.dfas.mil). With your myPay account you’ll be able to find all of your most important retired or annuitant pay information, including your 1099-R.

     In fact, retiree and annuitant 1099-R tax statements were available in myPay as of December 15, 2022.

     If you’ve requested to receive your 1099-R through the mail, it will go out through the U.S. Postal Service no later than January 31, 2023.

     The 1099-R is the retiree and annuitant tax statement, like the W-2 provided to wage earners. The 1099-R documents the amount of taxable retired or annuity income earned and how much was withheld in taxes – and must be filed with your tax return.

Skip the Mailbox and Use myPay

     One of the biggest advantages of using myPay all your documents are available at your convenience, including your 1099-R tax statement. You can download it much sooner than if you wait for a hard copy in the mail and, if you file taxes electronically, you won’t need to scan or find another way to convert your hard copy 1099-R into an electronic file.  

     1099-Rs are available now in myPay, while paper copies aren’t mailed until later in January. Not only that, you’ll also have prior year 1099-Rs at your fingertips in myPay (up to four prior years for retirees and up to two prior years for annuitants) if you want to compare or need to file an amended return.

     While you’re in myPay, you can also easily check to make sure we have your correct mailing address and email address. You don’t want any important correspondence or paperwork going to the wrong location.

Additional Ways to Get Your 1099-R

     If you aren’t using myPay yet, we do offer other options to replace an IRS Form 1099-R.

     For retirees, if your mailing address on file with DFAS is current, you can get a copy of your 1099-R through our telephone self-service option – but don’t do this until after February 10, 2023. Please allow time for the postal service to do their job.

     To use telephone self-service:

  • Call 800-321-1080 or 317-212-0551
  • Select option “1” for Self-Serve
  • Select option “1” 1099R
  • Enter your Social Security Number when prompted

     Your 1099-R should be in the mail within 7-10 business days to the address we have on record. 

     Retirees and annuitants can get their 1099-Rs sent to the address on file with DFAS or to a one-time, temporary mailing address by submitting a request online. Our online request tool also accepts international addresses.

     You can also request prior year 1099-Rs (four years for retirees and two years for annuitants). Your 1099-R should be in the mail within 7-10 business days. Find instructions: https://dvidshub.net/r/8bu5qm.

     If you prefer traditional mail, you can send us a written request by fax or mail, but please make sure you leave time for processing. It can take up to 30 days to process requests received by fax or mail. Find instructions:

     Members with unique situations can speak directly to one of our customer care representatives. Depending on call volume, you may have to wait on hold while we assist other customers. For more information, go to: 


Please note 1099-R reissues cannot be mailed prior to February 10, 2023. 

Changing Your Federal Tax Withholding

     If you need to change your withholding, you can do it easily in myPay. Or you can fill out and mail an IRS Form W-4 if you are a military retiree or an IRS Form W-4P if you are an SBP annuitant. The forms are available on the IRS website and are also linked from our Forms page.     

     Please note: You are not required to file a new Form W-4 unless you claim exemption from federal tax withholding. If you claim exemption from withholding, the 
IRS requires you file a new W-4 each year.

     DFAS customer service representatives cannot provide tax advice or recommendations about withholding. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions about your taxes.

Reminder – Retired Pay Taxation

     Military retired pay is paid for many different reasons under many different laws. There are differences in the types of pay a military retiree might receive and the tax laws that apply to them. Whether a portion or all of an individual’s military retired pay is subject to federal income taxes depends on his/her individual circumstances. 

     A military retiree can either use myPay or send an IRS Form W-4 to alter the amount DFAS withholds for federal income taxes from their military retired pay.

     An individual’s choice to have no withholding for federal taxes does not impact whether the individual’s military retired pay is actually subject to federal income taxes. Ultimately, the IRS will determine the amount of taxes owed on the military retired pay.

     Please see our webpage regarding taxation of retired pay: https://www.dfas.mil/retpaytax


Page updated December 21, 2022