Quick Tools

Forms Library

Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET

Did You Know?

We recognize the laws and regulations governing military annuity pay are complex and can be difficult to understand. In each issue of the DFAS Survivor SBP Newsletter, we will share a few helpful tips and tidbits for survivors.

Updating your mailing address

  • Did You Know: There are several ways to change your address? The easiest and most convenient way to update your address is by logging into myPay and updating it there. If you don’t have a myPay account, you can also call our customer care center at 800-321-1080, or you can send us a letter by mail, fax or by uploading it using our askDFAS online upload tool. Be sure to include your SSN and sign and date any written correspondence.

  • Did You Know: In addition to keeping your mailing address updated with DFAS, it’s important to keep your information current with your loved one’s Branch of Service if you are a surviving spouse or child of a member who died on active duty or inactive duty, in the line of duty. Please see our Active Duty/Line of Duty Survivors Spotlight in this issue for more information.

Survivor Benefit Plan Coverage

  • Did You Know: Spouse and child coverage means the spouse receives the annuity unless the spouse passes away or remarries prior to age 55. Only then does the eligible child (or children) receive the annuity payment.

  • Did You Know: If the surviving spouse becomes ineligible, we need a new SBP application package for the child or children, including a new DD 2656-7 Verification for Survivors Annuity.

Direct Deposit

  • Did You Know: If you are currently receiving a paper check, you can easily start having your pay conveniently direct deposited by using myPay, sending us a completed direct deposit form, or calling our Customer Care Center.

Third Party Representation

  • Did You Know: DFAS recognizes various types of third party representation for those annuitants needing help in managing their account. A detailed explanation of third party representation can be found at:

However, one type of representation DFAS does not recognize for annuitants is a Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA). Currently DFAS is authorized by law to accept a DPOA only for retiree accounts. We will keep you up to date if this situation changes.


Page Updated Apr 29 2023