End of Military Service


Members separating or retiring from active duty are entitled to reimbursement of relocation expenses.  Read about these entitlements to be sure the final claim is correct.

In some cases, members use leave prior to their expiration of time in service (ETS)/Separation or Retirement date. Travel is paid to the transition point, the location where the out-processing takes place, prior to the ETS/Separation or Retirement date. All other entitlements cannot be paid until after the actual date of the ETS/Separation or Retirement.

Note:  The reviewer signature is not required.

Send the PCS travel claim to DFAS Rome.
FAX:    317-275-0277, DSN:   366-0277
MAIL:   DFAS-Rome Attn: Travel, 325 Brooks Road, Rome, NY 13441

Personally Procured Move (PPM) claims must be sent to the last Transportation Office for processing. The Transportation Office will submit the package to DFAS Rome for payment. Be sure to include all required documentation; DD1351-2, DD2278, a copy of orders, weight tickets and all receipts.

Travel must be complete before the 181st day (6 months) after the Separation Date on the orders. Travel is limited to the Home of Record (HOR) or the Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD).

Home of selection (HOS) travel must be complete within one year from the retirement date on your orders. Travel is not limited to the HOR or PLEAD. Travel to any location within the U.S. a retiree is planning to reside after retiring may be claimed.