Dislocation Allowance (DLA)

The purpose of DLA is to partially reimburse a member, with or without dependents, for expenses incurred in relocating the member's household during a PCS move.

DLA Eligibility:

DLA is not authorized if:

  • This is your first PCS move and you do not have dependents
  • You are ordered to Active Duty and you do not have dependents
  • You are performing separation or retirement travel
  • You have already received reimbursement for DLA within the same fiscal year (exceptions apply, please see Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) U5450 for further information)

Note: If you hold a Government Travel Credit Card, the credit card must be used for DLA expenses.

Determining DLA Rates:

DLA without Dependent Rate DLA with Dependent Rate
Member does not have any/ authorized dependents Member has authorized dependents
PCS orders do not authorize dependent travel PCS authorize dependent travel
Dependents did not PCS Dependents PCS

DLA rates can be found on the  DoD Per Diem, Travel and Transportation Allowance Committee’s website   The DLA with dependent rate will only be paid if all criteria are met.

Partial DLA

Partial DLA may be authorized if a Member is ordered to occupy/vacate family-type Government Quarters for the Government’s convenience.  Refer to JTR U5446 for eligibility requirements.

Advanced Dislocation Allowance for authorized Soldiers

Advance travel payments may be authorized for the below entitlements if the Member is not a Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC) holder or an advance is not specifically prohibited in the orders.

If an Army member is a card holder,  an advance travel payment may only be authorized for DLA.   The GTCC must be used for all other PCS travel expenses.  For additional information, please see this memo.

Page updated November 2, 2022