7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST

Contact Us
Privacy Information


If you've been out of the military LESS than a year

If you served in the Air Force, Army, Navy or Marine Corps less than a year ago and believe they owe you money, start the claim process through your former pay office.

Claims are settled on the facts, as established by the government agency concerned, and by evidence submitted by you. The burden is on you to establish the liability of the United States.

If you've been out of the military MORE than a year

How to file a claim
If you served in the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps more than a year ago and believe they owe you money, use DD Form 827  to submit your claim. The burden is on you to establish the liability of the United States. Make sure that your claim is legible and includes:

  • Submit DD Form 827 OnlineWhat is being claimed
  • Reasons why you feel the government owes you
  • All documentation of evidence to prove your claim
  • Amount you believe you are owed
  • Your full social security number
  • Branch of service
  • Date of separation
  • Current address
  • Current phone number
  • Handwritten signature

If your claim is missing information, your payment will be delayed.

Claims must be received within 6 years of the date the claim accrued. Normal processing time for claims is 60 days from the date we receive it.

If you've already submitted a claim and want to check the status, please call our Customer Care Center at 866-912-6488 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. eastern standard time.

If you didn't get a check

You should wait 30 days from the date the check was issued to make a claim. After you’ve waited, submit a DD Form 2660 to:

8899 East 56th Street
ATTN: Indy Check Team
Indianapolis, IN 46249
Fax: 317-212-0353

Please provide a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement that corresponds with your missing check.

Please route all claims of non-receipt (DD Form 2660) of Treasury checks to AskDFAS Cleveland Disbursing at:


Category: Disbursing Operations Payments                 Subcategory: Non-receipt Treasury Check claims


Sometimes drilling reservists will see on a note on their Leave and Earning Statement that their check was returned to the US Treasury. If you are a Reservist you must contact your unit administrator or pay office to complete a USAR Form 27-R. They will then forward the documents to the USAR Liaison. Be sure to provide a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement containing the remarks. For National Guard members you will need to contact your unit administrator or finance office for assistance.

Disability Severance Pay

If you paid taxes on your disability severance pay, you could be due a refund.  A refund is awarded in the same calendar year in which a military member received disability severance pay. To obtain a refund from us you must submit the following documents to us before December 15th if the year in which the disability severance pay was paid.

  •  DD For 214 (member copy 4)Submit Disability Severance Pay forms online
  •  Veterans Affairs Award letter (the Award Letter in its entirety)
  • Separation Orders
  • Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) Proceedings Form from your applicable service.
    • Army - DA 199
    • Air Force - AF 100
    • Navy (does not have an identifiying form number)

We cannot issue refunds for prior tax years. If you received your funds in prior tax years please contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.

If you received a refund from us and believe you didn't get the correct amount, please provide us with written documentation including a hand written signature.

Page Updated November 2, 2022