Secondary Dependency – Student (Ages 21 or 22)

Unmarried children ages 21 and 22 who are enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education on a full-time basis. Below you will find the forms and instructions necessary to claim a student as a secondary dependent. Make sure you review instructions and have included all required documents prior to submitting an application.

NOTE: A DFAS dependency determination for the student is required for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) only. An Uniformed Services Identification and Privileges card (aka USIP or ID) may be obtained at your nearest military ID card issuing facility. 
Gather and complete (if applicable) the information required to apply for a Secondary Dependent. Check the requirements for your Branch of Service on a tab below to find out what is required to apply.

DFAS does not process Student Secondary Dependency Claim Determinations for the following services/agencies. For additional assistance or to find answers to your questions, please contact the appropriate agency listed in the Contacts tab.
  • Navy
  • Marine Corps
  • Coast Guard
  • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • Public Health Service

SDC Help

Page updated January 28, 2022