Completing Your TDY Travel Voucher (DD Form 1351-2)

An incomplete or inaccurate travel voucher can delay or prevent payment of your claim.  The below outlines some common ways to complete your travel voucher successfully on your first attempt.

Completion Methods:

SmartVoucher Logo


SmartVoucher makes it easier to complete your travel voucher by guiding you step-by-step through a series of questions then it creates a completed DD Form 1351-2. SmartVoucher makes sure all the required fields are filled in to create a complete and accurate voucher.

You'll get a list of supporting documents based on the answers you provided. Be sure to include those with your DD Form 1351-2. Don't forget to print your form to get the required signatures before submitting.

Note: Not for those using DTS (Defense Travel System) for their travel vouchers.

Defense Travel System Logo

Defense Travel System (DTS)

If your travel authorization was created in DTS your travel voucher must be completed in DTS. DTS is the most common payment system for TDY travel

DTS is an online system that automates temporary duty (TDY) travel processing. It allows travelers to create authorizations, book reservations, receive approval, generate payment vouchers, and direct payment to their bank accounts and Government Travel Charge Card.

In DTS, Documents are submitted, processed and approved at the organization responsible for funding the travel. Once approved by the organizational approving official, payment is electronically sent to DFAS for payment by direct deposit (electronic funds transfer, EFT) to the traveler’s bank account.

Manual Completion Instructions Decorative Icon

Instructions to Manually Complete Your TDY Travel Voucher

To view instructions that will walk you through the DD1351-2 step-by-step with examples to ensure that you are filling the form out correctly, visit Completing TDY Travel Voucher DD Form DD1351-2 Instructions.

This form, alongside your travel orders, tells DFAS how much to reimburse you for allowances, per diem, and expenses incurred while on travel. This guide highlights “Key Points” and outlines actions to “Get Started” that will help you complete your travel voucher successfully on your first attempt

Decorative image about completing DD Form 1351-2

We strongly recommend that you save documents showing expenses incurred while en route to your TDY destination (i.e., receipts, bills, invoices, proof of payment etc.) these items may be needed for approval of your travel voucher.  In the event that you do not have a receipt or proof of payment, you may submit a ‘Statement in Lieu of Actual Receipts’ or ‘Statement in Lieu of Lodging Receipts’ with the travel voucher to validate the expense.   

Return to Army TDY Homepage


Page Updated: Dec 2, 2023