Unexpired Lease (UEL)
Unexpired Lease reimbursement is authorized for expenses incurred due to the early termination of a lease agreement. Reimbursable expenses include broker’s fees for obtaining a sublease, charges for advertising, and lease termination fees.
Things you need to know:
- UEL reimbursement is a taxable entitlement.
- UEL is in lieu of Sale of a Residence at the OLD DUTY STATION.
- The residence must have been occupied by the civilian employee at the OLD DUTY STATION.
- Reimbursement is limited to expenses charged due to terminating the lease early. Fees that would be applied at the conclusion of a lease are not reimbursable (example: painting and cleaning fees).
- UEL is applicable to within CONUS and non-foreign OCONUS locations.
- Reimbursement is prorated when the lease is not in the name of the employee and/or their dependent.
- An advance is not authorized on an Unexpired Lease reimbursement.
Voucher Submission for Unexpired Lease
- DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher/Sub Voucher) – Be sure to review the Civilian relocation DD Form 1351-2 Voucher checklist.
- DD Form 1614 (Travel Authorization/Orders) with all amendments.
- Copy of the original lease signed by the employee and tenant and all renewal agreements and addendums.
- Copy of the Notification of Intent to vacate that was provided to the landlord.
- Copy of the letter form the landlord accepting the terms to vacate.
- Signed statement providing the exact date the apartment was vacated.
- Paid in full, itemized receipt/ledger from the landlord showing lease termination fees.
- Include Direct Deposit Form SF1199A
Frequently Asked Questions
How must I request reimbursement for settlement of an unexpired lease?
To request reimbursement for settlement of an unexpired lease, you must itemize expenses (list all expenses separately) on a travel voucher and submit the voucher to your agency.
How will I be reimbursed when I share a lease with someone else?
When you share a lease with someone else you will be reimbursed on a pro rata basis for that portion of the lease that you are responsible for.
How to complete DD 1351-2 for Unexpired Lease
: Payment: Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory. Submit an SF 1199 or DD 2762 with updated banking account information.
Split Disbursement: If you would like funds applied directly to your Government Travel Card, place an “x” in the block and indicate the dollar amount to be applied. If your reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement will be applied to the Government Travel Card.
: Name: Last name, first name, and middle initial of Employee.
: Grade of the Employee.
Social Security Number of Employee – full 9 digits.
Indicate “PCS” and “Member/Employee.”
Valid mailing address.
Valid and legible e-mail addresses.
Daytime telephone number.
Order/Authorization number which is listed on the original orders (See DD Form1614 Block 25).
List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List “0.00” if you have not received any payments.
This block may be used to make a note to explain something to the travel office, if applicable (e.g. Supplemental for_ ”
Employee’s new duty station address where employee is being assigned (See DD Form1614 Block 8).
Not required to be completed for unexpired lease
List the date the lease termination expenses were paid.
List each lease termination expense separately.
. List the amount being claimed for each expense.
Signature of traveler and date signed. Do not forget the date in Block 20B, even if it is in your digital signature. Signature date must be the day of or after final date claimed.
Reviewer’s signature and date signed. All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed or voucher will be returned. Signature date must be the same day or after the traveler.
Would be required for after the fact approval.
Blocks 23 – 28: