House Hunting Trip (HHT)

A house hunting trip is a discretionary allowance for the purpose of seeking residence at the new duty location; your agency will determine if this is authorized.  Reimbursement includes travel and transportation expenses for you and/or your spouse, together or individually, for one round trip between the old and new duty station.  If you do not return to your old duty location, you have not taken a HHT. The HHT duration, including travel time, is limited to 10 days.
Quick Tips
Information you need to know:
  1. All costs associated with HHT, including centrally billed airfare, are taxable.
  2. HHT is authorized for employee and spouse only.  Dependents may accompany at your expense.
  3. Both the old and new Permanent Duty Station (PDS) must be located in the United States or in a non-foreign OCONUS location like Alaska or Puerto Rico.
  4. A round trip performed by the employee must be completed before reporting to the new permanent duty station.
  5. Your spouse may take a HHT at any time before relocation of the family to the new PDS (must begin within one year of employee report date).
  6. HHT days used are subtracted from the first 30-day period of TQSE Actual Expense (AE) when more than 30 days of TQSE are occupied.
  7. To be reimbursed for airfare, your orders (DD1614) must state IBA or Personally Procured Airfare is authorized.

Important Information

There are two methods of HHT that may be authorized, make sure you understand the differences and check your DD1614 (block 13a and b) to confirm authorization type and number of days.
Lodging Plus HHT Actual Expense (AE)
  • The standard CONUS per diem rate applies for one round trip of the employee and/or spouse for up to 10 calendar days based on agency authorization. 
  • When the civilian employee and spouse travel together on an HHT, the per diem rate for the spouse is 75% of the civilian employee’s per diem rate. 
  • Lodging is paid on an actual expense basis, not to exceed the Standard CONUS lodging rate. 
  • Itemized, paid in full receipts are required.
How to submit an Actual Expenses (AE) HHT voucher
  1. DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher/Sub Voucher) – Be sure to review the Civilian relocation DD Form 1351-2 Voucher checklist.
  2. DD Form 1614 (Travel Authorization/Orders) with all amendments
  3. Paid, itemized receipts for lodging and any reimbursable expense $75 or more
  4. Copy of airfare receipt to include itinerary, ticket information, and itemized amount paid
  5. A cost construct from the AO if travel is by car and the HHT location is greater than 250 miles away from the old duty station.
  6. Direct Deposit Form SF1199A
HHT Lump Sum (LS)
  • A lump sum payment is given to the employee based on the applicable locality per diem rate multiplied by 6.25 for employee and spouse or 5.00 for only one person performing the HHT. 
  • Lodging receipts are not required, although you do need to complete your itinerary in block 15 on DD Form 1351-2.
  • Any unused balance belongs to the employee. 
  • Lodging taxes are not authorized as an additional reimbursement on HHT (LS).
How to submit an HHT Lump Sum (LS) Voucher
  1. DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher/Sub Voucher) – Be sure to review the Civilian Relocation DD1351-2 voucher checklist.
  2. DD Form 1614 (Travel Authorization/Orders) with all amendments
  3. Paid, itemized receipts for any reimbursable expense $75 or more
  4. Copy of airfare receipt to include itinerary, ticket information, and itemized amount paid
  5. A cost construct from the AO if travel is by car and the HHT location is greater than 250 miles away from the old duty station.
  6. Direct Deposit Form SF1199A
Joint Travel Regulations
Do you need more information about this entitlement? Click below to review the information. The link is a searchable PDF, scroll to the section you are interested in, then click on the blue link to be taken directly to the page. Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), Chapter 5, Part F, Section 0540

Need help filling out your form? Check out our YouTube Video eTutorials for more help.
Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for a house hunting trip?
You are eligible for a house hunting trip if you are Between Official Stations, and in addition:
  • Have signed a new Transportation Agreement (TA) and been issued a DD Form1614
  • Both your old and new official stations are located within the United States;
  • You are not assigned to Government or other prearranged housing at your new official station; and
  • Your old and new official stations are 75 or more miles apart (as measured by map distance) via a usually traveled surface route.

Who is not eligible for a house hunting trip expenses allowance?
New appointees and employees assigned under the Government Employees Training Act (5 U.S.C. 4109) are not eligible for a househunting trip expenses allowance.

What do I need to have to be reimbursed for my airfare?
You must claim airfare in block 18 of the 1351-2, submit a complete flight itinerary and paid in full receipt, and your orders (DD Form 1614) must state “IBA Authorized” or “Personally Procured Airfare Authorized.”

May my spouse and I perform separate house hunting trips at Government expense?
Yes, however, your reimbursement will be limited to the cost that would have been incurred if you and your spouse had traveled together on one round trip. When separate trips are taken, the total days used cannot exceed the allowable number of days. In other words, if 10 days are authorized and the employee uses 7, the spouse is limited to 3. Additionally, you will complete a separate 1351-2 for each of you with accurate itinerary in block 15, marking unaccompanied in block 12.

When must my house hunting trip be completed?
Your House Hunting trip must be completed by you, the day before reporting to your new official station. A House Hunting trip must be completed by your spouse the day before your family relocates to your new official station and before your allowable travel time expires, typically within one year of your report date.

What transportation expenses will my agency pay?
Your agency will authorize you to travel by the transportation mode(s) it determines to be advantageous to the Government. Your agency will pay for your transportation expenses by the authorized mode(s). If you travel by any other mode(s), your agency will pay your transportation expenses not to exceed the cost of transportation by the authorized mode(s). *NOTE* If you are driving more than 250 miles, your Approving Official must provide a cost construct clearly indicating it is more advantageous to drive than fly.

May I retain any balance left over from my house hunting reimbursement if my Lump Sum amount is more than adequate to cover my house hunting trip?
Yes, if your Lump Sum house hunting amount covers your house hunting expenses, any balance belongs to you.

If I am filing a claim for Lump Sum house hunting, am I required to provide any receipts?
Yes, you are required to provide the complete flight itinerary to include the transportation cost, and proof of payment if flying. You are also required to provide receipts for any reimbursable expense of $75 or more, except for lodging and meals.

Can I be reimbursed for parking at the airport during my house hunting trip?
Yes, the reimbursement is limited to $250 unless specifically approved by AO on Form 1351-2 Block 22 with AO signature in Block 21.

Back to top

How to Complete DD 1351-2 for HHT LS and HHT AE

Block 1: Payment: Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory. Submit an SF 1199 or DD 2762 with updated banking account information.
Split Disbursement:  If you would like funds applied directly to your Government Travel Card, place an “x” in the block and indicate the dollar amount to be applied. If your reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement will be applied to the Government Travel Card.
Block 2: Name:  Last name, first name, and middle initial of Employee.
Block 3: Grade of the Employee.
Block 4: Social Security Number of Employee – full 9 digits.
Block 5: Indicate “PCS” and “Member/Employee.”
Blocks 6a-6d: Valid mailing address.
Block 6e: Valid and legible e-mail address.
Block 7: Daytime telephone number.
Block 8: Order/Authorization number which is listed on the original orders (See DD Form1614 Block 25).
Block 9: List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List “0.00” if you have not received any payments.
Block 10: This block may be used to make a note to explain something to the travel office, if applicable (e.g. Supplemental for_         ”
Block 11: Employee’s new duty station address where employee is being assigned (See DD Form1614 Block 8).
Blocks 12: Complete for spouse only, as children are not authorized per diem on a HHT*** Note: Mark “accompanied” if you and your spouse traveled together, mark “unaccompanied” if you and your spouse did not travel together. If you both performed a HHT, but you did not travel together, complete 2 separate DD1351-2s, one for each of you.
Block 12a: List the last name, first name, and middle initial of spouse. (If he or she traveled on the dates indicted in block 15).
Block 12b: Enter “spouse.”
Block 12c: List the date of marriage for spouse.
Block 13: List the address where your spouse was residing at the time PCS orders were received.
Block 14: Indicate whether your household goods have been shipped.
Block 15: Itinerary (see below, and example).
Block 15a: Date: List the year the travel was conducted in the top box
      Next to “DEP” and “ARR” list the month and day of departure and arrival (e.g., 05/15).
Block 15b: Place: Enter a specific location to include City and State, a Fort, or a City and Country–do not enter “HOR”
Block 15c: Mode of Travel (see page 2 of DD1351-2 for codes).
Block 15F: If “PA” is indicated in block 15C and block 16 is checked own/operate, then indicate POC miles
Block 16: POC Mileage – Own/Operate must be checked to be reimbursed for mileage
Block 17: Duration of Travel from beginning to end.
Block 18: List any reimbursable expenses such as airfare, rental car, tolls, etc.
Block 19: Not applicable for HHT.
Block 20a&b: Signature of traveler and date signed.  Do not forget the date in Block 20B, even if it is in your digital signature. Signature date must be the day of or after final date  claimed.
Block 20c-f: Reviewer’s signature and date signed. All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed or voucher will be returned. Signature date must be the same day or after the traveler.
Block 21: Would be required for an “after the fact entitlement”, such as excess baggage approval.
Block 22: If block 21 is completed, block 22 would explain the “after the fact entitlement” e.g. Excess baggage is approved or IBA is authorized for the purchase of airfare.
Blocks 23 – 28: These blocks are not used for HHT.

Back to top

House Hunting Trip 1351-2


Return to "About the Civilian PCS Entitlement Guide"
Page Updated June 25, 2020