En Route Travel

En route travel is a taxable entitlement that allows you to be compensated for personal and dependent travel. Reimbursement includes travel and transportation expenses for you and your dependents for one trip by way of the most direct route from the old to the new duty station. This mileage rate is determined by the General Services Administration (GSA).

Monetary Allowances in Lieu of Transportation (MALT) for up to two privately owned conveyances (POC) may be reimbursed at the PCS mileage rate in effect at the time of travel.
Quick Tips

Per Diem is made up of meals and incidentals expenses (M&IE) and lodging is based on the following:
  1. One travel day is allowed for each 350 miles using the most direct route.
  2. If the additional distance is over 50 miles after dividing the total mileage by 350, one additional travel day is allowed.
  3. When the total official distance is 400 or fewer miles, 1 day of travel time is allowed.
  4. No per diem is allowed for travel less than 12 hours.
  5. Lodging is reimbursed based on actual cost not to exceed the maximum rate.  Paid, itemized lodging receipts are required.

Important Information

Things you need to know:
  1. En Route travel expenses are a taxable entitlement.
  2. En route travel is authorized for one trip for you and your dependents from the old to new duty station.
  3. If your dependents are NOT traveling with you, they are performing an en route at an earlier/later date, be sure to mark unaccompanied in Block 12 of the 1351-2 and complete a separate 1351-2 for their travel dates. Be clear on who is traveling when completing the DD1351-2.
  4. In order for an employee to receive reimbursement for airfare, the orders must state “Individual Billed Account (IBA) Authorized for the purchase of airfare” or “Personally Procured Airfare Authorized.” IBA/CBA can be changed after the fact with an Authorizing Official's signature.
Voucher Submission
  1. DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher/Sub Voucher) – Be sure to review the Civilian relocation DD Form 1351-2 Voucher checklist.
  2. DD Form 1614 (Travel Authorization/Orders) with all amendments
  3. Paid, itemized receipts for lodging and any reimbursable expense $75 or more
  4. Copy of air schedule itinerary and receipts to include the transportation cost
  5. Direct Deposit Form SF1199A
Joint Travel Regulations (JTR)
Do you need more information about this entitlement? Click below to review the information. The link is a searchable PDF, scroll to the section you are interested in, then click on the blue link to be taken directly to the page. Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), Chapter 5, Part F

Need help filling out your form? Check out our YouTube Video eTutorials for more help.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is my En Route travel voucher taxable?
On December 22, 2017, Congress passed Public Law 115-97 suspending the tax deduction for civilian moving expenses effective January 1, 2018. Based on this new law, all entitlements are now taxed. Meals En Route to your new duty station have always been taxed. En Route travel (lodging and transportation, to include government issued airline tickets) were not taxed prior to January 1, 2018. Adjustments may need to be made to claims paid early in 2018.

Will I automatically receive the standard CONUS rate for my En Route Travel regardless of what I spend on lodging and meals?
You will be paid 75 % of the meal rate on the first and last day of travel. For example, if $ 46 is the meal per diem, then only $ 34.50 would be paid. In addition to the M&IE, the lodging per diem is paid per the receipt, up to the max allowed, on the first day, but not the last.

Are there any circumstances in which a per diem allowance for my immediate family members is not allowed?
Yes, per diem for your immediate family members cannot be authorized if you are:

  • A new appointee;
  • Assigned to posts of duty outside CONUS returning to place of actual residence for separation; or
  • Being relocated under the Government Employees Training Act (5 U.S.C. 4109)

If my spouse and I travel on the same days along the same general route by using more than one POV, is my spouse considered unaccompanied?
No; for per diem purposes, you and your spouse are considered to be traveling together if you travel on the same days along the same general route by using more than one POV. Mark accompanied in block 12.

If I drive from my old PDS to my new PDS, how many days will I receive per diem?
Per Diem allowance is reimbursed based on the lesser of the result of:

  • Allowing 1 day of travel time for each 350 miles of official distance between the old and new PDS or authorized points. If the excess is 51 miles or more after dividing the total number of miles by 350, one additional day of travel is allowed. When the total official distance is 400 miles or less, 1 day's travel time is allowed.
  • Actual travel time in full days (e.g. 9 days and 3 hours is 10 days)

Are there exceptions to this daily minimum?
Yes, your agency may authorize exceptions to the daily minimum driving distance when there is a delay beyond your control such as acts of God, restrictions by Governmental authorities, or other acceptable reasons; e.g., a physical handicap or special needs. Your agency must have a designated approving official authorize the exception.

What do I need to have to be reimbursed for my airfare?
You must claim airfare in block 18 of the 1351-2, submit a complete flight itinerary and paid in full receipt, and your orders (DD Form 1614) must state “IBA Authorized” or “Personally Procured Airfare Authorized.”. If CBA is authorized in your orders, then no reimbursement is due to you, however, a complete flight itinerary and receipt are required as this is a taxable item if your orders were issued on or after January 1st, 2018. *NOTE* this will have an impact on your reimbursement and should be fully discussed with your HR.


Back to top

How to complete DD 1351-2 for En Route Travel


Block 1: Payment: Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) is mandatory. Submit an SF 1199 or DD 2762 with updated banking account information.
Split Disbursement:  If you would like funds applied directly to your Government Travel Card, place an “x” in the block and indicate the dollar amount to be applied. If your reimbursement is less than the amount requested, then the whole reimbursement will be applied to the Government Travel Card.
Block 2: Name:  Last name, first name, and middle initial of Employee.
Block 3: Grade of the Employee.
Block 4: Social Security Number of Employee – full 9 digits.
Block 5: Indicate “PCS” and “Member/Employee.”
Blocks 6a-6d: Valid mailing address.
Block 6e: Valid and legible e-mail addresses.
Block 7: Daytime telephone number.
Block 8: Order/Authorization number which is listed on the original orders (See DD Form1614 Block 25).
Block 9: List any and all previous payments paid from any finance office pertaining to the travel period being claimed. List “0.00” if you have not received any payments.
Block 10: This block may be used to make a note to explain something to the travel office, if applicable (e.g. Supplemental for_         ”
Block 11: Employee’s new duty station address where employee is being assigned (See DD Form1614 Block 8).
Blocks 12: Complete for any authorized dependents that traveled with you.
** Note: Mark “accompanied” if you and your dependents traveled together, mark “unaccompanied” if you and your dependents traveled separately.
Block 12a: List the names of your dependents
Block 12b: Enter relationship to you (spouse, son, daughter, etc.)
Block 12c: List the date of marriage for spouse, list birthdates of other dependents
Block 13: List the address where your dependents were residing at the time PCS orders were received.
Block 14: Indicate whether your household goods have been shipped.
Block 15: Itinerary (see below, and example).
Block 15a: Date: List the year the travel was conducted in the top box
      Next to “DEP” and “ARR” list the month and day of departure and arrival (e.g., 05/15).
Block 15b: Place: Enter a specific location to include City and State, a Fort, or a City and Country–do not enter “HOR”
Block 15c: Mode of Travel (see page 2 of DD1351-2 for codes).
Block 15d: Reason for stop (see page 2 of DD1351-2 for codes).
Block 15e: Enter Lodging cost if applicable.
Block 15f: If “PA” is indicated in block 15C and block 16 is checked own/operate, then indicate POC miles.
Block 16: POC Mileage – Own/Operate must be checked to be reimbursed for mileage.
Block 17: Duration of Travel from beginning to end.
Block 18: List any reimbursable expenses such as airfare, rental car, tolls, etc.
Block 19: Not applicable for en route.
Block 20a&b: Signature of traveler and date signed.  Do not forget the date in Block 20B, even if it is in your digital signature. Signature date must be the day of or after final date claimed.
Block 20c-f: Reviewer’s signature and date signed. All parts (20c, 20d, 20e, & 20f) must be completed or voucher will be returned. Signature date must be the same day or after the traveler.
Block 21: Would be required for an “after the fact entitlement”, such as excess baggage approval.
Block 22: If block 21 is completed, block 22 would explain the “after the fact entitlement” e.g. Excess baggage is approved or IBA is authorized for the purchase of airfare.
Blocks 23 – 28: These blocks are not used for en route travel.

Back to top

En Route Travel 1351-2

Return to "About the Civilian PCS Entitlement Guide"
Page Updated June 9, 2020