When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station move you can request a travel advance (early payment of entitlement) through DFAS to assist with the out-of-pocket expenses. A follow up voucher must be filed to settle the advance.
An advance of funds may be requested for the following allowances:
- House Hunting (actual expense method) - Employee and/or Spouse
- En route Travel - Employee and/or Spouse/Dependents
- Household Goods - (If Commuted Rate authorized for CONUS to CONUS move) Employee arranges the shipment directly with a vendor. Submit the mover's "estimate of cost for services" showing estimated weight and distance, origin and destination of goods being shipped, storage location, anticipated dates of storage, weight of storage, etc.
- Temporary Storage of Household Goods - If commercial storage
Mobile Home Transportation - Moved by commercial transporter- submit estimate
Temporary Quarters (Actual Expense) - Employee and/or Spouse/Dependents
Advances are issued at 60% of the maximum allowance, except for household goods, which is advanced at 100%. You may request on the advance form that a lesser amount be advanced.
Authorized advances are issued no sooner than 10 days before anticipated travel or authorized allowance begins.
If the advance you were given exceeds your travel allowances, you will be informed that any overpayment must be liquidated within 30 days of notification.
An advance of funds is NOT authorized for:
- Household Goods shipped via Government Bill of Lading (GBL) or the self-procured Actual Expense Method (limited to the GBL cost)
- Real Estate Allowance/Unexpired Lease
- Miscellaneous Expense Allowance
- Fixed HHT and Fixed TQSE (F) - these entitlements are considered as one time settlement payments and should be claimed on DD Form 1351-2
- HMIP - One time settlement payment - claim on DD Form 1351-2
- OCONUS Renewal Agreement Travel (RAT)
- Return travel for separation
- Advance return of dependents
- Non-temporary storage of HHG
Page updated Jan. 18, 2019