Customer Service

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET


Frequently Asked Questions


Claim a Retiree's Arrears of Pay

When a retiree dies, their final paycheck and any other money owed to them are paid to the person they designated as an Arrears of Pay (AOP) beneficiary. 

When you report a retiree's death, DFAS will reclaim the retiree's final month's pay and audit the account. Any remaining amount owed to the retiree can then be paid to the designated AOP beneficiary.

How to Claim Arrears of Pay:

If you are a designated AOP beneficiary, you must send DFAS the following two documents to receive payment:

  • The SF1174 claim form
  • A copy of the retiree's death certificate that specifies the cause of death

Please see the How to Claim a Retiree’s Arrears of Pay Using the SF 1174 page for how-to information and helpful tools for filling out and submitting these documents.

DFAS must reclaim any retirement payments made after the retiree's death before we can make an AOP payment. If the retiree was paid through direct deposit, DFAS will automatically recoup the payment. However, if the retiree was paid by hardcopy check, please return the payment with the above documentation.

If the retiree did not designate an AOP beneficiary, DFAS is required to send the AOP payment to the highest person in the legal Order of Precedence.

Page last updated June 13, 2023