Before sending your claim, be sure to use the checklists so your claim isn't returned for additional information or corrections! We know you want to get paid on time.

Upload your travel voucher and supporting documents online!
Travel Voucher Direct is available for all travel claims computed and paid by DFAS.

Note: Not for those using DTS (Defense Travel System) for their travel vouchers.

The following are supported/accepted document types for travel voucher submissions:

  • PDF (.pdf)
  • Microsoft Word (.doc / .docx)
  • JPEG Image (.jpg / .jpeg)
  • TIFF Image (.tif / .tiff)
  • Lotus Forms (.fdl / .xfdl)
  • Excel (.xls / .xlsx)
  • PowerPoint (.ppt / .pptx)
  • Rich Text (.rtf)
  • PNG Image (.png)
  • Text (.txt)

Contingency, PCS, Reserve Travel - Understanding the difference and where to submit

Contingency Travel vs. Active Duty Travel

Different Types of orders and where to submit

Where to submit your Travel Claim

If you are not using Travel Voucher Direct to submit your voucher, find the appropriate email address for your type of travel (fax numbers provided if available).

AMC/Defense Agency Claims:

Army Active Component Advances:  DFAS-TRAVELADVANCE@MAIL.MIL

Army Active Component VIP Claims:

Army Active Component Settlement Claims:

Military PCS Claims:

Military PCS Advance Claims:

Contingency Advances: - Fax: (317) 275-0122

Contingency Settlement Claims: - Fax: (317) 275-0332

Reserve Advances: - Fax: (317) 275-0336

Reserve Settlement Claims: -  Fax: (317) 275-0334

DLA/Navy TDY: - Fax: (317) 275-0150

ATTENTION customers submitting casualty travel vouchers:

Submit your travel voucher packages via email to or mail to

    DFAS-IN/Casualty Travel (JFA)
    8899 E. 56th St.
    Indianapolis, IN  46249

If you need assistance or have questions, please contact Casualty Travel Customer Service by phone at 317-212-3562 (DSN 699-3562) or email Your servicing finance office or Warrior Transition Unit can provide information and assistance for completing and submitting your travel claims.

After we receive your claim, you can check the status online or by phone.

Page updated February 1, 2021