Secondary Dependency – Ward of the Court (Under 21 years of age)

Unmarried, and placed in the permanent legal physical custody of the sponsor, or if not permanent custody for a period of at least 12 consecutive months.

Below you will find the forms and instructions necessary to claim a ward as a secondary dependent. Make sure you review instructions and have included all required documents prior to submitting an application.

How to Prepare your Secondary Dependency Application

Gather and complete (if applicable) the information required to apply for a Secondary Dependent. Check the requirements for your Branch of Service on a tab below to find out what is required to apply.

NOTE: DFAS does not process secondary dependency claim determinations for Marine Corps, Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Public Health Service. For additional assistance or to find answers to your questions, please contact the appropriate agency in the Contacts tab below.

SDC Help

Page updated October 19, 2021