Secondary Dependency – Parent(s)

Parent(s), parent(s)-in-law, step-parent(s), parent(s) by adoption, or any person who stood ‘In-Loco Parentis’ (in the place of a parent) to the sponsor for at least five years prior to the sponsor’s emancipation. NOTE: In loco parentis dependents are not entitled to a ID (aka USIP) card.

Below you will find the forms and instructions necessary to claim a parent as a secondary dependent. Make sure you review instructions and have included all required documents prior to submitting an application.
Gather and complete (if applicable) the information required to apply for a Secondary Dependent. Click on your Branch of Service below to find out what is required to apply. 

NOTE: DFAS does not process secondary dependency claim determinations for Marine Corps, Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Public Health service. For additional assistance or to find answers to your questions, please contact the appropriate agency listed under the Contacts & Addresses tab.

SDC Help