Using myPay

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense

Using myPay

The most convenient way to view your Retiree Account Statement (RAS) and manage your account is through myPay, our online account management system. myPay provides faster service, security, accessibility and reliability to all DFAS customers worldwide.


  • View, print or save your Retiree Account Statement
  • View, print or save your Combat-Related Special Compensation Statement
  • Start, stop or change electronic allotments to financial institutions
  • Change your mailing or e-mail address
  • Make changes to your direct deposit information
  • View, print or save your IRS Form 1099R
  • Turn on your Retiree Newsletter notification
  • Subscribe to the Retiree Newsletter

How to Create a myPay Account

If you've never used myPay, visit and click "Forgot or Need a Password" to have a temporary password mailed to you. Once you have received a password, return to the myPay home page and click "Create an Account" to get started. Enter your SSN and temporary password. 

If you see the following message in red: “The combination you entered is incorrect. You have already created a LOGIN ID and should not be using your SSN to log in. Please try again” this means you already have a login ID.  By now you’ve probably forgotten it, so you’ll need to go back to the myPay home page and click “Forgot your Login ID?” Enter your SSN and temporary password to have your Login ID displayed on screen. Then, return to the home page to login.

If you have trouble, call myPay at 888-332-7411 to speak to a Customer Service Representative.

Limited Access Accounts

For people who travel or are unable to access a computer, myPay offers the Limited Access Password. You can create a Limited Access Password for another person, allowing that individual to view your pay and tax statements without making any changes to your account. You may delete any user’s limited access at any time.

Page updated May 4, 2019