Frequently Asked Questions
Tax Alert: If you're a legal resident of Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico or Oklahoma, your military pay may be exempt from state income tax withholding. It could pay to know that facts.
At the end of each year, we provide you with the appropriate tax statements based on the type of income you have received. In most cases, this is the W2 reporting your military compensation. Special W2s or other tax statements are also produced for certain income such as Savings Deposit Program interest or DITY move travel reimbursement.
A schedule of when these tax statements will be available on myPay or placed in the mail is posted to this site between mid-November and mid-December each year.
In most cases, these tax statements are made available online via myPay. Some are mailed to the address you have provided in your myPay profile. To make your life easier, it's very important that you know your myPay login information and keep your email and mailing address information current. Military members are provided myPay access for a year after they have separated from service, so keeping your email and other info up to date will help you log in to myPay easier when tax time rolls around.
There are times, however, when you need to contact someone to request or correct a tax statement. Here's some phone numbers or locations to help you get what you need:
- Army, Navy, Air Force (reserve, active & National Guard) W2: 888-332-7411.
- Marine Corps (active & reserve) W2: Contact your finance office.
- Marine Corps (separated members) W2: 888-332-7411 (Select Options 5, 2, 3, then 4)
- Thrift Savings Plan 1099R: 887-968-3778
- DoD Savings Deposit Program 1099INT: 888-332-7411
- Voluntary Separation Incentive/Special Separation Benefit W2: 800-321-1080.
Be aware that call volume increases substantially during the tax season, so keep that myPay login information secure and available; it'll save you time and frustration.