Miscellaneous Expense Allowance (MEA)
The Miscellaneous Expense Allowance is a taxable entitlement.
A Miscellaneous Expense Allowance (MEA) is an entitlement that allows you to be reimbursed expenses that are not easily categorized. Some examples of reimbursable costs include disconnecting/connecting appliances, non-refundable utility fees/deposits, automobile registration and related costs.
Things you need to know:
- First Duty and Final move employees are not eligible for MEA
- First Duty employees traveling to a foreign outside the continental United States (OCONUS) location may be eligible for foreign transfer allowance (FTA) through their local finance office. The MEA portion of FTA is not paid at DFAS Rome.
- Amount allowable:
- Lump Sum:
- $650 for an employee without dependents listed on the orders.
- $1,300 for an employee with dependents listed on the orders.
- No receipts required.
- Employee's one week salary to include locality, for an employee without dependents at the new permanent duty station (PDS)
- Employee's two week salary to include locality, for an employee with dependents at the new permanent duty station
- Payment is not to exceed the GS-13 step 10 pay scale
- Submission of the employees leave and earnings statement (LES)
- Paid in full receipts are required regardless of the amount
- Lump Sum:
- Advance of funds is not authorized
Voucher Submission for MEA
1. DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher/Sub Voucher) – Be sure to review the Civilian relocation DD Form 1351-2 Voucher checklist.
- You must include the following statement in block 18 of DD Form 1351-2.
"I certify that I (or "We" if you are claiming family MEA with dependents) have discontinued my (or "our" if you are claiming family MEA) residence at the old PDS and have established a residence at the new PDS."
- Include the dollar amount being claimed in block 18 of the DD form 1351-2.
2. Approving Official’s signature is required if itemizing with receipts.
3. DD Form 1614 (Travel Authorization/Orders) with all amendments.
4. Paid, itemized receipts if itemizing
5. Direct Deposit Form SF1199A
Miscellaneous Expense Allowance Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions? Check out the commonly asked questions.
Page updated Jan. 18, 2019