Defense Finance
and Accounting Service

Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense



Claim a reimbursement from the Defense Department

If you've been out of the military less than a year:
If you served in the Air Force, Army, Navy or Marine Corps less than a year ago and believe you are owed money, you need to start the claim process through your former pay office.

Claims are settled on the facts, as established by the Government agency concerned, and by evidence submitted by you. The burden is on you to establish the liability of the United States.

If you've been out of the military more than a year

How to file a claim
If you served in the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps more than a year ago and believe you are owed money, use DD Form 827  to submit your claim. The burden is on you to establish the liability of the United States. The DD Form 827 is preferred, but not required. Just make sure that your claim is legible and includes:

  • What is being claimed
  • Reasons why you feel the Government owes you
  • All documentation of evidence to prove your claim
  • Amount you believe you are owed
  • Your full social security number
  • Branch of service
  • Date of separation
  • Current address
  • Current phone number
  • Handwritten signature

Remember, it is your responsibility to submit a claim properly. Submit claims to:

DFAS-IN, Claims Branch
8899 East 56th Street
Department 3300 (Attn: COR/Claims)
Indianapolis, IN 46249-3300
E-mail: cor_claims@dfas.mil
Fax: 317-275-0279

Claims must be received within 6 years of the date the claim accrued. Normal processing time for claims is 60 days from the date of receipt. 

If you wish to check on the status of a claim previously submitted to us, please call our inquiry line at 317-212-6167 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. eastern standard time.

If you didn't receive a check

You should wait 30 days from the date the check was issued to make a claim. After you’ve waited, submit a DD Form 2660  to:

8899 East 56th Street
ATTN: Indy Check Team
Indianapolis, IN 46249
Fax: 317-212-2994 

Please provide a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement showing the missing check that you are seeking.


Sometimes drilling reservists will see on a note on their Leave and Earning Statement that their check was returned to the US Treasury. If you are a Reservist you must contact your unit administrator or pay office to complete a USAR Form 27-R. They will then forward the documents to the USAR Liaison. Be sure to provide a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement containing the remarks. For National Guard members you will need to contact your unit administrator or finance office for assistance.

Disability Severance Pay

If you paid taxes on your disability severance pay, you could be due a refund.  A refund is awarded in the same calendar year in which a military member received disability severance pay. To obtain a refund from us you must submit the following documents to us before December 15th if the year in which the disability severance pay was paid.  

    DD For 214 (member copy 4)

    Veterans Affairs Award letter (the Award Letter in its entirety)

    Separation Orders

    Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) Proceedings Form.  These forms are as follows:

          Army - DA 199

          Air Force - AF 100

          Navy (does not have an identifiying form number)

Submit your request to:

Dept. 3300 ATTN: 3891
8899 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-3300

Refunds of prior tax years cannot be refunded by us. If you received your funds in prior tax years please contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.

If you disagree with the amount you were paid, please provide us with written documentation and a hand written signature if you disagree with a claim you received.

Privacy Information

Contact Us

Page updated April 9, 2012