Apply for Arrears of Pay

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense

Apply for Arrears of Pay

When retirees die, their final paychecks and any other money owed to them are sent to the person they designated as an Arrears of Pay (AOP) beneficiary. 

When you report a retiree's death, DFAS will reclaim the retiree's final month's pay and audit the account. Any remaining amount owed to the retiree will then be paid to the designated AOP beneficiary.

How to Apply:
If you are a designated AOP beneficiary, you must send DFAS the following two documents to receive payment:

  • One SF1174 claim form for each beneficiary (see instructions)
  • A copy of the retiree's death certificate that specifies the cause of death

Please fax or mail these documents to:

DFAS - U.S. Military Retired Pay
P.O. Box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130

Fax: 1-800-469-6559

DFAS must reclaim any retirement payments that were made after the retiree's death before we can send you an AOP payment. If the retiree was paid through direct deposit, DFAS will automatically recoup the payment. However, if the retiree was paid by hardcopy check, please return the payment with the above documentation.

If the retiree did not designate an AOP beneficiary, DFAS is required to send the AOP payment to highest person in the legal Order of Precedence. Page updated April 21, 2011