Report a Retiree's DeathWe’re sorry for your loss. Though this is a difficult time, it’s crucial to report the death of a military retiree promptly. Please follow the steps below to report the death as soon as possible.
What You Need
- Retiree’s name, Social Security Number and date of death
- Death certificate showing cause of death
- Names of retiree’s designated beneficiaries
How to Report a Retiree's Death
2. Within 7-10 business days after reporting the death to DFAS, you should receive a letter containing the following documents:
- SF1174 Claim for Unpaid Compensation of Deceased Member of the Uniformed Service
- Annuity account forms and instructions (if the decedent was enrolled in the Survivor Benefit Plan or the Retired Serviceman's Family Protection Plan)
3. Complete the forms you received with your letter and return them with a copy of the retiree’s Death Certificate that includes cause of death to:
DFAS U.S. Military Retired Pay
P.O. box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130
If you need assistance completing your claim forms, please call 800-321-1080.