Who to Contact

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense

Who Do I Contact? Best Way to Get Things Done

Do you have questions related to your retirement or retirement pay but you’re not sure who to call? Have you ever wondered when you should you contact your branch of service, the Department of Veterans Affairs, myPay or DFAS Retired and Annuitant Pay? This article will help you determine which of these institutions you need to contact with a concern.
When you retire, your branch of service is responsible for helping you apply for retirement and issuing your retirement orders. The service also determines eligibility for some entitlement programs such as Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC). If you have questions about your retirement orders or eligibility determinations, your service should be able to provide the information you need.
The VA provides services to retired members as well as former members of the military who did not retire. The VA works with disabled veterans to make changes and updates for tax-free benefits for injuries during active service, ratings for service-connected disability, ratings for Special Monthly Compensation, ratings for employable status and re-rates individuals who experience increase in disability. You should contact the VA directly for questions with any of these entitlements and benefit programs.
myPay is a convenient secure online pay account management system available to active duty service members, retirees, annuitants, and federal employees. myPay allows retirees to make simple account changes such as updating an address or changing the federal and state withholding in the comfort of their home. When retirees access myPay, they can view and print their monthly retiree account statement (e-RAS), CRSC pay statement, and tax statement 1099R. Retirees can also manage their allotments, beneficiary for arrears (AOP), direct deposits and update email address. myPay is the fastest way to complete simple account transactions. If you have questions about your password, login ID or creating an account, you can consult the myPay website or reach out the DFAS Cleveland Customer Care Center.
Retired and Annuity Pay (R&A) is primarily a payroll office, and its main function is to establish and maintain military retired pay and annuity accounts. Retired Pay also issues monthly payments to both military retirees and their eligible survivors. Military retirees and annuitants have a shared responsibility to maintain payroll accounts by keeping information current. When it comes to complex payroll issues involving death, Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), and annuitant or former spouse questions, the knowledge of an expert may be required to provide an answer. Retirees and annuitants should contact R&A for such complex account issues, questions, and changes that cannot be resolved by using myPay.

Branch of Service (BOS):

Marines Corps http://www.marines.mil/ 

Air Force http://www.af.mil/

Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)

 or 1-800-827-1000

 or 1-888-332-7411 Opt. 5
Retired and Annuitant Pay:

For news updates, general information, and forms: Retired Pay Site http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary.html

For specific questions: AskDFAS https://corpweb1.dfas.mil/askDFAS/askRA.jsp

For discussion on retired pay issues: Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DefenseFinanceandAccountingService?ref=ts

Questions about your retired or annuity pay account: 1-800-321-1080, Press 1 then 4, Press 0 (zero) for operator.

Reporting a Death or Following-Up on a Claim: 1-800-321-1080, Press 1, then Press 1 again, Enter social security number.

Updated September 18, 2013