Manage Your SBP Annuity

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense

Manage your SBP Annuity

As the beneficiary of a deceased military retiree's Survivor Benefit Plan, you can expect a payment every month.  The benefit, also known as an annuity, is usually paid for the rest of your life or until you become ineligible.

Annual Certification of Eligibility

Effective Aug. 1, 2013, most Survivor Benefit Plan annuitants over the age of 55 are no longer required to complete and submit an annual Certificate of Eligibility to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. Annuitants should no longer expect to receive the annual COE once they reach age 55. Their eligibility to receive annuity payments will continue without submitting the COE.

The following annuitants will continue to receive annual COEs and must submit their completed forms to DFAS to continue annuity payment eligibility:
  • Annuitants under 55 years of age
  • Annuitants who are receiving hard copy checks in a foreign country (regardless of age)
  • Annuitants who have a permanent disability (regardless of age)

If you are in any of these categories, send your annual COE to:

U. S. Military Annuitant Pay
P.O. Box 7131
London, KY 40742-7131
Fax:  800-982-8459

We will send you an annual reminder when your COE is due.  Please be sure to notify DFAS if you move, so that we can continue to send you important notices and reminders.

Terms and Conditions of Your SBP Annuity

As a new annuitant, you should educate yourself about the terms and conditions of your annuity.

There are a number of reasons you could lose your eligibility to receive your annuity. Your payment could be temporarily or even permanently suspended.

You also should be familiar with regulations that prevent you from collecting full SBP payments from DFAS while you are receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation from the Veterans Administration (VA).

Please review the terms and conditions of your SBP annuity on the following page:

Providing for Your Loved Ones: Educate Your Beneficiary

Services for Annuitants

As long as you maintain your eligibility, you can expect to receive the following services from DFAS Retired and Annuitant (R&A) Pay:

Manage Your Account with myPay

The quickest and most convenient way to manage your annuity pay is with myPay. This online account management system puts you in control of your own account.

You can use myPay to view your SBP annuity account detail, change Direct Deposit information, change your mailing address, and print and view IRS forms, such as the 1099R.

Annuitant Account Statement

The Annuitant Account Statement (AAS) is issued annually through myPay or when changes are made to the account. Use it to verify payment, tax information, and to keep informed about your account.


When you fill out a W4P and mail or fax it to DFAS Military Annuitant Pay, we will withhold Federal Income taxes from your annuity account. Every January, we will issue a 1099R statement that you will need to complete your tax return.

R&A Pay cannot withhold state taxes for annuitants.

Page updated November 19, 2013.