800-321-1080, Option 1
M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET
Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities. It is a tax free entitlement that you will be paid each month along with any retired pay you may already be receiving.
To qualify for CRSC you must:
- be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
- be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
- waive your VA pay from your retired pay
- file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
- Armed Conflict
- Hazardous Duty
- An Instrumentality of War
- Simulated War
In addition to monthly CRSC payments, you may be eligible for a retroactive payment. DFAS will audit your account to determine whether or not you are due retroactive payment. An audit of your account requires researching pay information from both DFAS and VA.
If you are due any money from DFAS, you will receive it within 30-60 days of receipt of your first CRSC monthly payment. If DFAS finds that you are also due a retroactive payment from the VA, we will forward an audit to the VA. They are responsible for paying any money they may owe you.
Your retroactive payment date may go back as far as June 1, 2003, but can be limited based on:
- your overall CRSC start date as awarded by your Branch of Service
- your Purple Heart eligibility
- your retirement date
- your retirement law (disability or non-disability)
- six-year barring statute
All retroactive pay is limited to six years from the date the VA awarded compensation for each disability.
If you have questions about your CRSC eligibility, please call us at 800-321-1080 or contact your Branch of Service. Updated October 9, 2013