1. DFAS Home
  2. Retired Military & Annuitants
  3. Survivors and Beneficiaries
  4. Report a Retiree's Death
  5. Other Agencies to Contact

Other Agencies to Contact

When a military retiree passes away, there are several steps you should take to take ensure his or her pay and benefit accounts are closed out properly and loved ones are cared for properly. After notifying DFAS, you may also need to notify the following agencies as soon as possible.

Social Security Administration

Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
(if the retiree received disability compensation)

Office of Personnel Management
(if the military retiree also was a current or retired federal civilian employee)

(if the retiree was enrolled in a VA-sponsored life insurance policy, such as Veterans' Group Life Insurance or National Service Life Insurance)

Office of Servicemember’s Group Life Insurance
(if the retiree was enrolled in Servicemember’s Group Life Insurance)

Related Links

Bureau of Navy Medicine (Burial at Sea information)
(888) 647-6676 (Option 4)

Department of Defense (Military funeral honors)
(877) 645-4667

Veterans Administration (Funeral or Burial benefits)

Updated September 16, 2011