ATTORNEY REQUESTS (NON-SUBPOENA)
Your request for personal records must
include: a) Attorney letter; and b) Authorization from the Individual to whom the records pertain. The requirements for each are detailed below.
- Must be on office letterhead and contain date & signature of attorney or paralegal
- Detailed description of records you seek. Be specific; we cannot search for ‘any and/or all’ records
- Search Period: Start date (month/year) and End date (month/year)
- Please include a valid email address
- For Service Members, list:
- Branch of service – Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy
- Component – Active Duty or Reserve/National Guard (NG)
- If multiple branches, list each branch and dates served
- Army Reserve/NG records dated prior to 1976, must also provide:
- Name(s) of Major Command member was assigned for the requested period(s)
- Name(s) of Unit of Assignment for each command
- City/State for each Unit of Assignment
- Dates she/he served in each command
- For Federal Civilian Employees, list:
- Agency or agencies for which the Individual worked
- Dates he/she worked in each agency
*Individuals (military members and civilian employees) may utilize the Request Pertaining to Military Records (SF-180) to authorize the release of personal records. However, a copy of his/her valid, government-issued photo ID or notarized statement verifying identity must accompany the SF-180, along with the attorney letter.
- Written/typed statement from the Individual to whom the records pertain that specifically authorizes the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) to release his/her personal records
- Name and contact information of Individual to whom records are to be released
- Individual’s full social security number
- List record(s) to be released
- Individual’s printed name and signature
- His/her contact information – phone number, mailing address, email
- Copy (front & back) of Individual’s valid, government-issued (state or federal) photo ID or a Notarized Statement verifying his/her identity
Submit Your Request
Email and fax are the preferred submission methods.
Fax: (317) 275-0391
However, you may forward your request via postal mail or the online portal.
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Corporate Communications – FOIA/PA
8899 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-0150
Online submissions must still include a copy of the Individual’s valid, government-issued photo ID or a Notarized Statement verifying his/her identity.
Page Updated August 17, 2023