Monday through Friday 

8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern

Customer Service
Contact Us Online

If the requirements of the USFSPA have been met, payments to a former spouse must begin no later than 90 days after the date of effective service of a complete application.

If the member has not yet retired at the time the former spouse submits his or her application, payments must begin no later than 90 days after the member becomes entitled to retired pay.

Attention military retirees

If you have been paying your former spouse's award by voluntary allotment and your former spouse has been awarded direct payments under the USFSPA, you must notify DFAS Retired and Annuitant Pay to stop the allotment.  DFAS has no authority to stop any of the member’s voluntary allotments.  If the former spouse is overpaid because an allotment is not cancelled in a timely manner, it would be the member’s responsibility to recover any overpayment. 

Direct Deposit

To sign up for Direct Deposit, please complete a Direct Deposit Form and send it to DFAS at the address below.  Or send a written request, including your name, the member's name and social security number, and your signature. Also, include a copy of a voided check with the banking information clearly showing.

DFAS Garnishment Law Directorate
P.O. Box 998002
Cleveland OH 44199-8002

Changes to your mailing address or direct deposit must be made in writing to DFAS Garnishment Law Directorate at address above. To prevent delays, please be sure to include the member's name and SSN you are receiving payments from and sign your name to the address change request.  Former spouses have access to myPay to update and review their account.

International Direct Deposit

International Direct Deposit (IDD) is available to Former Spouses receiving entitlements through the Uniformed Services Former Spouse’s Protection Act and living in eligible locations overseas. IDD electronically deposits funds on the first business day of the month.

Enrolling in IDD
Complete the form for International Direct Deposit Enrollment (SF 1199-I) and mail it to:

DFAS Garnishment Law Directorate
PO Box 998002
Cleveland OH 44199-8002

Or fax it to toll free 1 (877)622-5930

Make sure the form is accurately completed and signed. Incorrect or incomplete enrollment forms will be returned unprocessed for correction, delaying your enrollment. Typed forms are preferable.

If you currently have your pay sent via direct deposit to a stateside financial institution, do not close that account until you have verified receipt at your international bank. Otherwise, your pay will be returned to DFAS, causing additional delays.



For information regarding taxes, W-4Ps and 1099 forms, please contact DFAS Retired and Annuitant Pay at 800-321-1080.

Related Link:
W-4P Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments


Page updated Oct. 11, 2018.