Monday through Friday 

8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern

Customer Service
Contact Us Online

SBP Beneficiary - Former Spouse Deemed Election

 Former Spouse’s Right to Request SBP Coverage (aka “Deemed” Election Requests)

  • If the member has been court ordered to elect former spouse SBP, then a Former Spouse can submit his/her own request to DFAS for former spouse SBP coverage. This is known as a “deemed election request.”
  • Even if the divorce was more than a year before the member’s retirement, the former spouse can submit a deemed election request, but the request must be submitted within one year of the order requiring former spouse SBP coverage.
  • If a former spouse submits a proper deemed election request within one year of the court order requiring former spouse SBP coverage, then the former spouse SBP coverage will be entered on the member’s account, even if the member has not made a former spouse election.

Former Spouse Deemed Election Requests

  • Submit a copy of the court order which requires the former spouse SBP coverage.
  • Submit a copy of your divorce decree.
  • Submit the completed DD2656-10 within one year of when the order was issued.
  • The deemed election request can be made prior to the member’s retirement, as long as the request is made within one year of when the order was issued.
  • Mail or fax a copy of the court order, copy of the divorce decree and the FS SBP Deemed Election form DD2656-10.
  • Online submission: Submit completed forms and documents on line through Garnishment askDFAS.
  • Mail the Former Spouse Deemed Election request to:
    DFAS Garnishment Law Directorate
    PO Box 998002
    Cleveland OH 44199
  • Fax number 1-877-622-5930
Questions? Check out some Frequently Asked Questions here

Page updated May, 10, 2021