Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense

Your taxes and the Affordable Care Act

Last January (2016) DFAS began providing IRS forms 1095-B and/or 1095-C to military members, retirees and federal civilian employees. These forms allowed customers to review healthcare insurance coverage for the preceding 12 months. For many, this information allowed them to confirm minimum essential healthcare insurance coverage on their individual federal tax return.

This January DFAS customers will again receive 1095 forms. Those with myPay accounts will be able to download and print their 1095 forms along with their W--2 or 1099R forms when they are ready to complete their tax returns for the last tax year. You can find out when your tax forms will be available here.

Got questions?

What's important?

  • Most federally provided healthcare plans (Tricare and FEHB) meet the minimum essential coverage requirement of the Affordable Care Act.
  • Military members will receive a notification letter from the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) if their SSN or a family members' SSN needs to be updated in DEERS. It is important to follow the instructions in the letter to ensure information is correctly reported to the IRS.
  • You will receive an IRS Form 1095-B or 1095-C for all healthcare plans you are enrolled in. This includes Tricare and the Federal Employee Health Benefit plans (available via your myPay account), VA and other plans provided through a government agency or purchased by you for yourself and your family members.
  • The IRS 1095 series forms include information already provided to the Internal Revenue Service. These forms contain information you may need to complete your individual federal income tax return.

Got questions?

What's a 1095?

The IRS Form 1095 series informs taxpayers of the information provided to the IRS regarding their healthcare coverage during the tax year. This information will be needed as taxpayers complete their federal tax return.

  • IRS Form 1095-B (for military retirees):  This form provides information you may need in verifying your healthcare insurance coverrage on your income tax return that you, your spouse and individuals you claim as dependents had qualifying health coverage (referred to as “minimum essential coverage”) for some or all months during the year. Individuals who do not have minimum essential coverage and do not qualify for an exemption may be liable for the individual shared responsibility payment.
  • IRS Form 1095-C (for military members and federal civilian employees): This form includes information about the health insurance coverage offered to you by your employer. Form 1095-C, Part II, includes information about the coverage, if any, your employer offered to you and your spouse and dependent(s). 

Got questions?

Need more?

You can learn more about the ACA and its impact on preparing your federal income tax return at the following websites. You can also use our FAQ page for more info.

About the law:

For Federal Civilian Employees:

  • ACA FAQs from the Office of Personnel Management 
  • FEHB FAQs from the Office of Personnel Management 

For Military Members/Military Retirees:

For all taxpayers:

Page updated Dec. 19, 2016