Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense


You are eligible for a TQSE allowance if you are an employee who is authorized to transfer; and
(a) Your new official station is located within the United States; and
(b) Your old and new official stations are 50 miles or more apart (as measured by map distance) via a usually traveled surface route.

New appointees, employees assigned under the Government Employees Training Act (5 U.S.C. 4109), and employees returning from an overseas assignment for the purpose of separation are not eligible for a TQSE allowance.

No, your agency determines whether it is in the Government's interest to pay TQSE.

Yes. For example, if you must vacate your home at the old official station and report to the new official station and your family remains behind until the end of the school year, you may need to occupy temporary quarters at the new official station while your family occupies temporary quarters at the old official station.

No, you may not receive a TQSE allowance under this part when you transfer to an area outside the United States. However, you may qualify for a comparable allowance under the Standardized Regulations (Government Civilians, Foreign Areas) prescribed by the Department of State.

No, the eligibility period for which you are authorized to claim actual TQSE reimbursement for yourself and for each member of your immediate family must run concurrently.

No, you will not receive additional TQSE reimbursement if the Lump Sum amount is not adequate to cover your TQSE.

Yes, if your Lump Sum TQSE amount is more than adequate to cover your TQSE expenses any balance belongs to you.