DTS Users: We recommend you first contact your Lead Defense Travel Administrator (LDTA). Or, login to the Defense Travel System (DTS) website to check your status. Status of travel processed in DTS is not available using the methods listed below.

There are several steps in the travel voucher payment process. Use one of the methods below to check the status of your voucher.

This tool will only work with CAC enabled computers.

graphic linking to the check voucher status tool


The tool is for use by the following:

  • PCS and TDY travel for active duty Army
  • TDY travel for National Guard
  • Civilian relocation (or PCS) for DoD, Navy Capital Fund, Revolving Fund, Army and Army Material Command  

Enter your travel order/authorization number and the first four letters of your last name. If you get an error message when using the tool, follow these instructions.


  • Army active duty, Reserve, national guard and defense agency employees can also use myPay to check their status. Login and select "Travel Voucher Advice of Payment" from your main menu.
  • Call 1-888-332-7366 (DSN 699-0300) the self-service telephone line to find out if your voucher has been paid. You will need your social security number and telephone self-service PIN. Read this guide to get a PIN or create a new one. The self-service line is for travelers not using the Defense Travel System (DTS).
  • Casualty/Wounded Warriors should email dfas-in.casualty.customer.service@dfas.mil or call 317-212-3562 to find out the status of your voucher. 

Page Updated May 30, 2024