DFAS Indianapolis (formerly the U.S. Army Finance and Accounting Center) was activated Jan. 20, 1991. It is housed in the Emmet J. Bean building which is the third largest government building (after the Pentagon and Ronald Reagan Library).
Indianapolis’ key functional areas are Accounting and Finance operations, servicing 1.9 million customers and disbursing $189 billion annually. Accounting operations is comprised of the following:
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- Accounting Analysis
- Departmental Reporting
- Accounts Maintenance and Control
- Accounting Systems
- Security Corporation Accounting
- Transportation Pay
Finance Operations is comprised of the following:
- Customer Care Center
- Debt and Claims Management
- Military Pay
- Travel Pay
- Civilian Pay
- Expeditionary Support Organization
Key Corporate Organizations located at DFAS Indianapolis include Office of General Counsel, Human Resources, Shared Services, Strategic Business Management, Equal Employment Opportunity, Internal Review and Standards and Compliance. Additional organizations at Indianapolis supporting the men and woman in uniform are the Enterprise Readiness Organization and Audit Readiness.
DFAS Indianapolis is located in Lawrence Township of Marion County. The address of DFAS Indianapolis is 8899 East 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249. Directions to DFAS Indianapolis can be found using Google
Preparation for your first day
Your first day of work, please plan on arriving at DFAS Indianapolis by 7:45 a.m. You will need a valid piece of identification to enter the building; it can be either state or federal issued identification.
You may park in any of the four main parking lots or the two auxiliary lots. Handicapped parking is available and is located in the south center lot. You may park in handicap visitor spaces for your first two days of employment. If you park in a handicapped spot you will need the make, model and license plate number of your car to present to the security office.
Report to the South lobby and let the guard know you are a new DFAS employee reporting to work. You will need an ID to sign in and receive a visitor badge. A member of the In-Processing team will be there to greet you and escort you through the building.
Make sure you arrive with the following:
- Driver’s license or State/federal photo issued photo ID
- Social Security card, certified copy of birth certificate or passport
- Your bank routing and account number (you may use a voided check) to sign up for direct deposit
- Completed forms. Remember, you must print and bring with you the employment and pay forms that were identified by your Human Resources representative. Specific instructions were provided to you for the pay forms and other employment forms such as the I-9 and Appointment Affidavit. You may also bring your beneficiary forms with you on your first day.