Required Documents

Defense Finance
and Accounting Service
Providing payment services of the U.S. Department of Defense


Our Congressional Liaison Office responds to inquiries from congressional leaders with comprehensive research and answers that provide the staffs with the information they need to serve their constituents.

Due to federal privacy laws and DoD regulations, each inquiry requires proper documentation in order for us to begin work compiling information on each individual pay issue.

NOTICE: We receive a significant number of inquiries regarding assistance with 1099R and W-2 tax statements of DFAS customers. The new tax statement page can help you answer these requests for your constituents without the delays caused by corresponding with the DFAS Congressional Liaison Office.


All congressional inquiries require:


  • A statement from your constituent stating the problem or issue
  • A completed and signed Privacy Act Release
  • A power of attorney (if inquiry is submitted on behalf of someone else)

The following guide provides documents that are necessary for most common topics.

For problems concerning: Required Documents/Info: Frequently requested forms & information Links
Travel (i.e., non-payment or incorrect payment of travel entitlements)
  • Copies of travel orders, amendments, DD 1351-2 (travel voucher) & all applicable receipts.
Retired or Annuitant Pay (i.e., Survivor Benefit Plan, incorrect pay, arrears of pay, establishing an annuitant account, CRSC/ CRDP)
  • Copy of Retiree or Annuitant Account Statement
  • Copy of Death or Marriage Certificates (if applicable)
  • Copy of Divorce Decree (if applicable)
  • Copy of any other applicable court orders
Military Pay (i.e., incorrect pay, dependency benefits, bonuses)
  • Detailed information on pay issue (i.e., specific entitlement amount, duty location, duty status, etc.)
  • Copy of Leave & Earning Statement
  • Dependency documentation (i.e., birth certificates, Social Security Administration benefit, Dependency Statement/DD 137-5)
  • Copy of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series)
  • Any additional documents to support claim.
  • DD 137-5 (Dependency Statement - Incapacitated Child Over Age 21)
Debt and Claims (i.e., any indebtedness to DoD)
  • Copy of DFAS letter detailing indebtedness
  • Copy of Leave & Earning Statement (if applicable)
  • DD 2789 Waiver application (if applicable)
  • Documentation of financial hardship
Civilian Pay (i.e., military service deposit, incorrect pay, federal civilian retirement)
  • Names/phone numbers of persons contacted regarding pay issue
  • Copy of Personnel Action Form (SF-50) applicable to the pay entitlement or time period at issue
  • Copy of Leave & Earning Statement
  • Copy of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214/5 Series)
  •  RI 20-97 (Estimated Earnings During Military Service)
Vendor Pay (i.e., non-payments)
  • Contract Number
  • Invoice Number
  • POC with knowledge of contract
Garnishments (i.e., court-ordered payments to former spouses or child support)
  • Child support documents & wage withholding order (if applicable)
  • Alimony documents (court orders)  (if applicable)
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Divorce decree (if applicable)
  • Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act (USFPA) form (if individual has been awarded part of members retired pay – DD 2293)
  • DD 2293 (Application for Former Spouse Payments from Retired Pay)
Requests for documents (i.e., pay records, Leave and Earning Statements, tax statements)
  • Full name & SSN
  • DD 214/215 (If applicable)
  • Copy of Reserve Retired Point Card (If applicable)
  • Time periods in question
  • Military unit of assignment
NOTE: DFAS cannot change military records. All requests must be submitted with supporting documentation to the appropriate branch of service.




Updated March 28, 2012