Tax InformationThe Tax Office is responsible for the management of automated processes/procedures relating to:
- Identifying, collecting, and reviewing Vendor Pay data transactions subject to tax reporting
- Coordinating and issuing Vendor Pay IRS Form 1099s and W2s to ensure the highest possible level of compliance, including research and resolution of erroneous Vendor Pay statements
- Working with DFAS organizations, as well as other agencies affected by the issuance of tax documents and changes in tax compliance laws, regulations and directives
The Tax Office is centrally located at DFAS Columbus. The office issues IRS Form 1099/W2s on data generated from the various Accounts Payable systems within the Defense Finance & Accounting Service. Example: payments for student loans, legal actions, contractor payments, etc.
If you are retired military and have questions concerning a 1099R contact DFAS at 1-800-321-1080; 1-888-332-7411 or 216-522-5955 and follow the prompts for assistance.
If you are active duty military and are missing a W2: check MyPay to obtain the W2; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 1-800-321-1080; 1-888-332-7411 or 216-522-5955 and follow the prompts for assistance. See the MyPay site or www.dfas.mil for instructions to have your password reset.
If you received an IRS Form 1099 MISC, 1099 INT, 1099C or a W2 from DFAS and have questions, you may contact us using one of these methods:
- Email your inquiry to the email address shown in the box at the top right corner of the 1099 form.
- If you received an IRS Form W2 for a payment made on a STUDENT LOAN (not payroll/salary or other payments) and have a question/issue send an email to: email@example.com. Be sure to include: the payer’s Federal Employer Identification Number shown on the W2; your Social Security Number (SSN); a copy of the W2 in question; your phone number; time zone for where you are located and the best time to reach you and your email address.
- Write to us at the address below and include the data shown in the paragraph above:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
P. O. Box 182317
DFAS CO Tax Office - JJFD
Columbus, OH 43218-2317
- Fax your inquiry to 614-701-2511 and include the data shown in the paragraph above.
Due to the current Privacy Act laws, if the request is from a third party it must be accompanied by a power of attorney.
Please allow up to 15 business days for a response.