Growth and LearningDFAS promotes professional development for employees by extending financial assistance for college and university courses and professional certifications. Continued learning is encouraged through eLearning, developmental assignments and our mentoring and coaching program.
Competitive Civilian Academic Degree Program (CCADP)The DFAS Competitive Civilian Academic Degree Program (CCADP) provides support for employees pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree. This is a competitive program in which certain eligibility requirements must be met in order to apply and be considered.
This program funds tuition, and course-related fees leading to the completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree. Tuition reimbursement is capped at the cost per credit hour at local public or state-supported accredited institutions of higher education.
Tuition Assistance ProgramWe provide tuition assistance for college courses determined job or mission-related. Tuition as well as fees related to taking a specific course (i.e., laboratory fees and fees related to taking a course online) are provided.
Tuition reimbursement is capped at a DFAS established cost per credit hour based on a survey of credit hour costs at local or state-supported accredited colleges. Employees may receive tuition assistance for up to two courses per fiscal year from colleges on a semester credit hour system or three courses per fiscal year from colleges on a quarter hour credit hour system.
Tuition assistance funds are subject to availability.
Professional CertificationsDFAS strongly encourages employees to pursue professional certifications key to their career field such as:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA )
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM )
- Certified Software Project Manager (CSPM)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Oracle Master Security Certified Network Architect (SCNA)
Professional OrganizationsDFAS encourages its employees to enhance their networking capability through association with professional organizations. A supervisor or mentor will steer you toward the most beneficial association(s) for you.
eLearning TechnologyDFAS is increasing the availability of learning materials to employees via Web-based applications. In collaboration with SkillSoft thousands of Web-based training courses, job aids and briefings focused on technical and professional development topics are available free of charge to our employees. Courses can be accessed by DFAS employees from any computer with an internet connection 24 hours a day.
DFAS offers a collection of more than 250 eBooks, which are full-text electronic versions of published books. An online collection of more then 1,500 journals, magazines and newspapers focused on a variety of United States business interests, computers and information technology are also available.
Developmental AssignmentsDevelopmental assignments include assignments to new positions providing opportunities to learn new skills and perform different types of work. This work-based learning approach occurs when:
- learning is acquired in the midst of action and dedicated to a specific work task
- knowledge creation and utilization are collective activities and thus involve interpersonal communication
- participants adopt a learning-to-learn mentality, which includes questioning core assumptions that drive actions
DFAS offers an avenue for employees to share wisdom, knowledge and experience through a mentoring and coaching program. Participation is voluntary.
Page updated December 7, 2011